🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client unresponsive not releasing milestone p...
Page options
dcutrano
Community Member

Client unresponsive not releasing milestone payment

Im sure its been asked before.  I submitted for payment on 9/11.  Client is not answering messages or emails.  Wont release my payment.  I saw that I just need to wait 14 days and it will automatically pay.  Is this true?  Is he billed or does Upwork just protect the freelancers and pay it out.

In the top 3 of worst clienst ever on upwork

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

Yes, the milestone will auto approve 14 days after you click submit if the client does nothing. The client has already been billed if the money is in escrow.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
wescowley
Community Member

Yes, the milestone will auto approve 14 days after you click submit if the client does nothing. The client has already been billed if the money is in escrow.

Thanks Wes.  can i close the contract then before it pays out or should i wait?

Closing the contract won't affect payment of a funded milestone. However, if things went sideways and you have reason to think the client might leave less-than-stellar feedback, I'd recommend waiting a while. The longer after the fact, the less likely the client will be to respond to the feedback reminder. The way the JSS is calculated, sub-par fb is worse than none.

InPhyllis G wrote:

Closing the contract won't affect payment of a funded milestone. 

Are you sure? I would have expected it to cause the escrow to be refunded to the client, even if you've submitted a request for payment.

Richard W wrote:

InPhyllis G wrote:

Are you sure? I would have expected it to cause the escrow to be refunded to the client, even if you've submitted a request for payment.

Richard, you are right. If you close a contract before funds in Escrow have been released, the funds in escrow immediately go back to the client.

Petra R wrote:

Richard W wrote:

InPhyllis G wrote:

Richard, you are right. If you close a contract before funds in Escrow have been released, the funds in escrow immediately go back to the client.

Yikes! I stand corrected. Thanks, Richard and Petra.

dcutrano
Community Member

Ok so then keep the contract open until the funds clear and are payed...correct?

Thank you for all your help

petra_r
Community Member

David C wrote:

Ok so then keep the contract open until the funds clear and are payed...correct?

Yes 🙂

dcutrano
Community Member

Team...just following up on this.  It's been 14 days since my first submission and it still has not been paid yet.  Does the timer restart from the most recent submission?

petra_r
Community Member

David C wrote:

Team...just following up on this.  It's been 14 days since my first submission and it still has not been paid yet.  Does the timer restart from the most recent submission?

Yes, every time you resubmit, the countdown starts again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths