🐈 Community

Client used tricks to get free work.

Hi there,

Today, I received an Invitation for a Job. The client's profile was good; verified payment method, good reviews, etc. I accepted the Invitation & communication started. 

The client was feeding me with Instructions & he asked me to follow him so I can prove that I understand the work requirements & procedure. While following his Instructions, I realized that maybe he is trying to get Free work from me. I noticed that he has sent Invitations to 70+ freelancers while he was looking for only 4, so the number of Invitations were unusual. 

To cut the long story short, I realized he is trying to get Free work & I decided to Withdraw my proposal. But when I checked, the proposal was already archieved with the notice that "The job post has been flagged & removed by Upwork". 

Now I need your help. I am an active Upwork freelancer with 100% JSS. It's now for sure that there was something inappropriate because the post was already removed. I can't Withdraw my proposal now. Please let me know if there are any steps that I need to take so it doesn't cause any trouble to my profile. 

Should I report the Job post? Even after that notice, the job is still visible & more interesting thing is that he has also Hired one freelancer on the same job. It's just so confusing. 

Looking forward to your quick help please!

Thanks.

Regards,

Tauseeq

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I just want to know if there are any further steps I need to take so Upwork doesn't hold me accused."

You're fine.

I don't think you need to do anything else.

I don't know that Upwork actually penalizes any freelancers for doing free work. Technically it is CLIENTS who are very expressly banned from asking for free work. Clients can indeed be banned from Upwork for violating this Upwork rule.

The important thing for you, as a freelancer, is that you don't work for free again in the future. Because that wastes your time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hfspeegle

@Tauseeq A wrote:

Hi there,

Today, I received an Invitation for a Job. The client's profile was good; verified payment method, good reviews, etc. I accepted the Invitation & communication started. 

The client was feeding me with Instructions & he asked me to follow him so I can prove that I understand the work requirements & procedure. While following his Instructions, I realized that maybe he is trying to get Free work from me. I noticed that he has sent Invitations to 70+ freelancers while he was looking for only 4, so the number of Invitations were unusual. 

To cut the long story short, I realized he is trying to get Free work & I decided to Withdraw my proposal. But when I checked, the proposal was already archieved with the notice that "The job post has been flagged & removed by Upwork". 

Now I need your help. I am an active Upwork freelancer with 100% JSS. It's now for sure that there was something inappropriate because the post was already removed. I can't Withdraw my proposal now. Please let me know if there are any steps that I need to take so it doesn't cause any trouble to my profile. 

Should I report the Job post? Even after that notice, the job is still visible & more interesting thing is that he has also Hired one freelancer on the same job. It's just so confusing. 

Looking forward to your quick help please!

Thanks.

Regards,

Tauseeq

Hi Tauseeq,

A proposal won't be able to hurt your JSS. You don't need to withdraw it. Only proposals that result in a contract can affect your JSS. Also, it sounds like Upwork removed the job posting and you did nothing wrong. I wouldn't worry about this at all.  All the best,

Heath

Hi Heath, thanks for your response. 

Actually its not the JSS I'm worried about. I know the proposals don't have any effect on JSS. What I'm worried about is the account hold or account suspension, etc. I read in the Upwork's TOS, that If someone asks for free work, I should & must:

- Withdraw my proposal

- Report the Job. 

But because I don't have the option to Withdraw, as it has already been removed. I just want to know if there are any further steps I need to take so Upwork doesn't hold me accused.

re: "I just want to know if there are any further steps I need to take so Upwork doesn't hold me accused."

You're fine.

I don't think you need to do anything else.

I don't know that Upwork actually penalizes any freelancers for doing free work. Technically it is CLIENTS who are very expressly banned from asking for free work. Clients can indeed be banned from Upwork for violating this Upwork rule.

The important thing for you, as a freelancer, is that you don't work for free again in the future. Because that wastes your time.

Finally, I can relax now 🙂 Thank you so much for your help Mr. Preston. 

Learning Paths