🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client using abusive language and hate speech
Page options
rexoninnovations
Community Member

Client using abusive language and hate speech

Hi,

When a client is using abusive language to a freelancer what action will you take for such activity?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Joel.

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaG

Hi Joel,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. If you encounter violations of TOS or inappropriate activity from another user we encourage you to report it. Here's how to send a flagWe take every report of suspicious or inappropriate activity seriously. Every report is sent directly to our Trust and Safety team for investigation.

Also, please know you can block the client from messaging you any further. There are multiple ways to block a user but the easiest way is to access a room with that user, click on their profile icon, then select Block. Please note that you cannot block a user with whom you have an active contract.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi,

Ok.

Thank you.

Joel.

re: "When a client is using abusive language to a freelancer what action will you take for such activity?"

More importantly is the question:

What action will YOU take for such activity?

As a freelancer, YOU can choose to end a contract at any time, for any reason.

If you report a client for using abusive language to Upwork, you are helping OTHER people.

What YOU decide to do

- continue working for the client and ignore it

- talk to the client and advise him that such language is inappropriate

- quit working for the client and tell him why

- quit working for the client and DON'T tell him why

...These are all decisions that YOU can make, and you do these things to put yourself and your interests first.

Note that not all "abusive language and hate speech" is created equal.

Some people consider the "Z-word" to be hate speech. Other people think the "Z-word" is fine.

There was a freelancer named John.

He was working for 3 clients: Janet, Pierce, and Carline.

Janet once used the "Z-word" while talking to John. John felt uncomfortable about it, but Janet had paid John $5000 already for pretty easy work. So John just let it slide.

Pierce began using the "Y-word" occasionally in casual conversation. This made John feel uncomfortable. John told the client: "Pierce, I really like working with you. But the word you have been using - the Y-word - do you realize that the really means? That word makes me feel quite uncomfortable." Pierce told him: "John, I'm so sorry! I really respect you for talking to me like this, man to man. I was out of line and I will not use that word again. If something like this every comes up again, then don't hesitate to call me out on it."

In a phone call discussing the latest tasks, Carline used the "U-word." John couldn't believe it! The U-word! John ended the phone conversation immediately, closed the contract, and blocked the client in communication tools. Then John reported the client to Upwork Customer Service.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members