🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client want me to do an unrealistic task!
Page options
peter_ezzat
Community Member

Client want me to do an unrealistic task!

Hello 🙂

Well, I have been working with a client for four month now.

Every month he gives me a PDF file that I clean, convert and organize the data into CSV.

We work with fixed contract and every month he adds a new milestone.

This month he wanted me to do an unrealistic task!

He wanted me to read the first and last names of every row and try to figure out which first name and last name is correct!

That makes no sense to me at all.

I am from Egypt and he is from the States.

Here we have all names work both for first and last names we can never tell the difference.

Although my work is to clean and organize the data by scripts, I am a programmer not a data entry.

And he said, after four months, that he paid me to do that kind of job!

I spend all my life studying in English, but I never had to study names.

There is no science in dealing with defining first and last names.

Now is there a way to end the contract without giving me bad feedback?

I can swear that what he wants cannot even be done by AI and machine learning?

He wanted me to do something not realistic.

He wanted me to do something not my specialty.

He never wrote first and last name identification in the job post!

What can I do?

Thank you.,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

If he has added a   task that is outside your scope, simply decline, make it clear you will not be working on that, and that you are available to continue the previous work. If he has added a milestone with the unwanted work, then you would have to close the contract. 

I would continue to try to discuss the issue with him before closing the contract and see if you can get him to change the milestone, etc. 

Just remain firm that you will not be able to do this other task and that it's not work that you will do. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
hoyle_editing
Community Member

If you cannot complete the task then i think all you need to do is tell that to the client, explain that you are sorry but this particular task is not within your usual scope of work.

As long as you keep things professional and polite i see no reason for the client to leave bad feedback if they have been happy with your previous tasks.

I already said that what he want is undoable, 

I told help, anyone will do the same thing that I did, the first name will be the first name, and the last name will be the last one, 

But the data is not always like that, sometimes last names come in the first name column and the first name comes in the last name column with no indication what so ever!

I even told him not to take my word for it and try to hire someone and I think most people cannot tell the difference.

But the client doesn't take no for an answer!

If you can not complete the task, the client can't force you. I would politely explain to him that you will be unable to complete the milestone and move on. Perhaps something along the lines of...

"Client,

I'm very sorry but due to the nature of your requests for the latest milestone I will be unable to meet your requirements. I would of course be happy to work with you again on the same basis as the previous milestones and I hope you are able to find a suitable candidate to complete this task quickly.
If I can be of any further assistance please dont hesitate to get in touch."

I'm not telling you what to write, but that is the kind of thing i would be writing if i was in your situation. It doesnt matter if you think no other freelancers can do it, thats down to the client. The important part is that you have said you cant!

a_lipsey
Community Member

If he has added a   task that is outside your scope, simply decline, make it clear you will not be working on that, and that you are available to continue the previous work. If he has added a milestone with the unwanted work, then you would have to close the contract. 

I would continue to try to discuss the issue with him before closing the contract and see if you can get him to change the milestone, etc. 

Just remain firm that you will not be able to do this other task and that it's not work that you will do. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Peter:

You really SHOULD NOT tell a client that these tasks are "undoable."

You should tell the client that you would love to help him, but that you are not the right person for the job. You should wish him well in finding someone else to help him.

Peter, this probably won't help you any but there are quite a few common English names that can be both first and last names. In no particular order, Roosevelt, Lincoln, Thomas, Lucy, Spencer, Tracy, Lee, Paul, Grant, Nelson, and even my name, as in Elton John. So you're not exaggerating much when you say the job is undoable.

ETA: Preston and Hunter are 2 more examples. Cat Wink

The job IS doable.

The job may not be doable with 100% certainty.

Preston H wrote:

The job IS doable.

The job may not be doable with 100% certainty.

Or by someone who did not grow up in an English speaking country.

I'd just tell the client in a professional and friendly manner that I can't do that job.

I probably decline to do certain tasks on a third or half of the projects I get hired to do.

For example lots of project owners ask me to do graphic design work on projects they hired me to do back-end development work on. I just tell them that I am not the right person. I tell them that other people are available who specialize in graphic design, and I would only be able to do a mediocre job for them.

There is nothing unusual about a freelancer declining to do something.

Preston H wrote:

I probably decline to do certain tasks on a third or half of the projects I get hired to do.

There is nothing unusual about a freelancer declining to do something.

You're missing the point.

This is a milestone on an existing contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members