Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client want's to put ongoing contract on hold

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dusan K Member Since: Nov 27, 2015
1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I'm engaged in a small gig right now - one-page flyer redesign.

The contract started on previously arranged terms, I've redesigned the flyer and sent a screenshot to her. But she didn't like it. Ok, it happens, so I've made another 3 different designs because I really care about clients satisfaction in order to get that 5-star rating like we all do. 

She was thrilled with the new ones, and she asked me to wait a day until she decides.

After that one day, she messaged me and asked is it possible to pause project until mid-December.

All this looks a bit suspicious to me, so I'm wondering is anyone here came across a similar situation?

Thank you all.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
2 of 7

Hi Dusan,

As long as you get paid for the work done so far, I see no problem.

If you are on a fixed priced contract politely remind the client to pay you ( release the funds ) for what you did so far.

And if you want to work with her again don't hesitate to express this and let her know you can wait a few weeks for continuing the collaboration.

As a WordPress developer, some of my clients have all sort of ideas and sometimes it happens that they end up by cancelling or postponing those projects. I see things in a very simple way: if I do work I want to get paid no matter if they are postponing or cancelling. I don't get offended by these actions and I'm always ready to continue whenever they decide.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

Yes, it's a fixed price job, but with no specific milestones whatsoever. 

Thank's Cristian.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 7

"Yes, it's a fixed price job, but with no specific milestones whatsoever."

Then you have probably lost out. However, what you could do. Is to agree to the December hold, provided she funds the milestone for say, 15th December (not so far away). Send her (and keep sending her) a reminder to fund the milestone for however much the project costs.

But I have a feeling you're not going to see your money. If you don't get paid, make sure you track your designs and have them taken down by Google if they are used. This won't be so easy though, if the flyer is to be actually printed and manually distributed.  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 7

Thank you Nichola, I'll try to sort things out.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
BEST ANSWER
6 of 7

@Dusan K wrote:

Yes, it's a fixed price job, but with no specific milestones whatsoever. 

Well... hmm...

First rule of a fixed price contract:

Never start it without setting one or more milestones. Everything must be funded in advance! Try to not break it again.

As Nichola said, you can tackle this by communicating with the client. I personally had 1-2 small issues in the past, some clients were late with approving the milestones, they were late and unclear in communication. I went after my money and made the first step. Yeah, that's unpleasant and probably time consuming but as long as you keep it professional, can get your money back.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 7

Thank you all, you helped a lot.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS