🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client want to payment outside the upwork
Page options
avishekbhardwaj4
Community Member

Client want to payment outside the upwork

Hello .. i got a job from a new client yesterday .. he unable to add a card on upwork because it is in a verfication process... so he unable to do the payment on upwork ... i completed his task but the mode of payment is not decide due to verfication process.. he ask my bank details and other information for payment directly... but i am worried about the terms and conditions of upwork that cann't deal outside the upwork ... and i need the payment badly .. what to do .. please help .. i am not favour of getting payment outside .. please help 

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Avishek:
If this client is asking for YOUR bank details, then we can be fairly certain that this is not a real client, but a scammer who is trying to steal your money.

More importantly:
It is a serious violation of Upwork ToS for a freelancer to exchange funds with a client OUTSIDE of the Upwork platform.

You could have your account suspended or otherwise sanctioned just for TALKING ABOUT getting paid outside of Upwork.

What should you do?
Go to the job posting and click on "Flag as inappropriate." Report this client using the option that indicates that he was asking to pay outside of Upwork.

Also: If he communicated with you using the Upwork Messages tool, then you can select a message in which he discussed outside-platform payment, and you can report the message.

It is important for you to understand that you can't get paid money for this work. Because clients may only pay freelancers THROUGH Upwork.

d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

Just make sure you don't accept payment outside of Upwork else Upwork will bounce on you. The acceptable thing you should have done would have been, to wait until client's payment detail is verified. This way, you're sure of getting your payment. Encourage client to go through the verification process. 

Not Accepting payment outside of Upwork is actually for your benefits because Upwork will protect you from online fraud.

I'll suggest you reach out to support via "Help and Support" and explain your challenge to them.

But next time, make sure client's payment info is verified before you start working. 

petra_r
Community Member

Avishek B wrote:

Hello .. i got a job from a new client yesterday .. he unable to add a card on upwork because it is in a verfication process... so he unable to do the payment on upwork ... i

It takes minutes, or hours at worst to verify a payment method. Both you and the client just need to be patient and properly follow the process.

Avishek B wrote:

he ask my bank details and other information for payment directly...

That would see you lose your Upwork account (especially now you announced it...)

avishekbhardwaj4
Community Member

that's y said to him  i am not accepting a payment outside let the verfication process complete .. 

tagrendy
Community Member

Sorry to say this, but the client is a scammer, you are better off not wasting your time waiting on his payment and trying to find a new job. This time, look for someone with verified payment method and hire history.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members

Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English