cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client want to submit work without adding hour !!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joynul A Member Since: Jun 27, 2015
1 of 8

Hello Author,

Today i got a small project . A client who hired me for that project and gave me only one hour to do that job . I asked client please give me two hours because this task need to complete two hours. Then he told me I will increase the hour please do the work and give me the file i will look to see it . He told me i have good ratings also .

Please let me know what should i do ? Can i give the file ?

Looking foreard to hear from you soon .

Best Regards

Joynul Abedin

Joynul Abedin
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mahesh A Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
2 of 8

Yes Joynul You should start working make sure your clinet's payment method is verified  and don't forget to track time with the upwork tracker and also add the memos. 

after completing the work you can submit it. 

good luck 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

If it was me... I would do the extra hour of time, logging time while doing so, and submit it.

If the client chooses to pay me for the extra hour, great. If he chooses to not pay me, oh well. He's a dork, and I won't work for him again.

But I would count myself lucky be done with the whole affair after only working one hour extra without getting paid, because many contracts gone bad can be far worse than that.

One hour of time lost with a client who actually did pay and left a good review isn't worth my time making a case about it. Even though the client was totally wrong in the way he handled this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

Anyway, from your initial description, it sounds like he may be a very decent client who plans to pay you for all your time, but he just wants to see what you come up with after an hour.

If you're actually doing good work, he'll allow more hours.

I've done that myself as a client. Many times.

I have had projects that I knew would take many hours, but I didn't know this new contractor. I set a time limit for one hour. I asked to see the work so far. I saw the work was good. I increased the time limit.

The contractor was paid for every minute he or she worked. And I was able to verify this is a good, honest worker without risking paying a lot for nothing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 8

Hello Preston,

But That client set the hourly limits and want the file  then what should i do ?

Hope to hear back from you soon .

Thanks !

Joynul Abedin
Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
6 of 8

re: "But That client set the hourly limits then what should i do ? Hope to hear back from you soon ."

The client set a one-hour time limit. Log time while doing so.

Do one hour's worth of work. Submit ALL the work that you did. Every file.

If the client asks you to finish the work, you ask if he can increase the time limit.

If he says no, then you need to choose if you want to fight him on it, and risk making a fiasco out of it, or if you want to just go ahead and finish. I can't tell you what to do.

I can tell you that me, personally, I just want to get this over with, so I finish the project, working one more hour, while logging time.

Then I submit the finished project all of the files.

If he asks for anything else at that point, I explain that he would need to increase allowable time for me to do anything else.

If he pays me for the additional hour, great. If not, and he closes the contract without paying for that hour, but I get good feedback, then at least I'm glad for that.

This doesn't justify the client ripping me off by an hour. But I don't have time to deal with that. I can spend that time working on other projects and getting paid.

But I won't work for that client again. That's his punishment. I know he doesn't deal honestly with contractors.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 8

Hello Preston ,

Thank you very much for your information .

Best Regards

Joynul Abedin

Joynul Abedin
Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 8

That client didn't reply me yet and he didn't give me any feedback yet .....

@Preston H wrote:

re: "But That client set the hourly limits then what should i do ? Hope to hear back from you soon ."

The client set a one-hour time limit. Log time while doing so.

Do one hour's worth of work. Submit ALL the work that you did. Every file.

If the client asks you to finish the work, you ask if he can increase the time limit.

If he says no, then you need to choose if you want to fight him on it, and risk making a fiasco out of it, or if you want to just go ahead and finish. I can't tell you what to do.

I can tell you that me, personally, I just want to get this over with, so I finish the project, working one more hour, while logging time.

Then I submit the finished project all of the files.

If he asks for anything else at that point, I explain that he would need to increase allowable time for me to do anything else.

If he pays me for the additional hour, great. If not, and he closes the contract without paying for that hour, but I get good feedback, then at least I'm glad for that.

This doesn't justify the client ripping me off by an hour. But I don't have time to deal with that. I can spend that time working on other projects and getting paid.

But I won't work for that client again. That's his punishment. I know he doesn't deal honestly with contractors.

Joynul Abedin
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS