Client wanted me to rip off someone else's logo, and I declined

A client invited me to a very simple job. They had a PDF of a logo that they needed retraced as an Illustrator file. In hindsight, I should have realized that the logo was not theirs; however, at the time, I did not realize this. It was a 5 minute job offering to pay $20, so I said yes.

I completed the job, and they said it was perfect.

The client then asked if I could change the text on the logo, and offered to compensate with a bonus. That's when I realized that they were trying to rip off someone else's logo for cheap. I called them out on this, and declined.

They said they understood, and paid me the full $20. Then left 4.5 star feedback.

While I know 4.5 stars isn't terrible, it still seems unfair to me, and I'd like suggestions on what I should do.

7 REPLIES 7

If this person really is a sheister then it's just my opinion to take the 4.5 and move forward. He is only going to go so far and won't be thinking too much about "fair."

Others may disagree with me. It's up to you but I wouldn't bother pushing it at this point.

This is my take: you did probably shady work unkowingly, got paid a fair rate, realized you were doing something pontentially shady, declined, then got a really not so terrible star rating. Maybe the "called out on" part influenced that 😉 (deservedly or not), maybe it didn't...maybe it's just because you didn't actually do the second job, if I'm understanding this (I'm unclear whether these were two entirely separate jobs or whether the "bonus" was going back and redoing already-completed work but with the "bonus"...not sure how that would work if you'd already closed the job).

Whether or not it was "deserved" is really so much a judgment call. When I was on Elance years ago I killed it so amazingly with one particular client (according to messages) that I was pretty surprised that I only got 4 stars. The review wasn't as stellar as I was expecting, either. It was really generic. What one person thinks of as 5 stars is different from the next person's interpretation.

Again, that's just my view.

You don't know what kind of private feedback they left. I'd find out if I could refund their $20 and get the job taken off my record. Not because you don't deserve the $20 but because it might not be worth that to have a worse ding.

@Phyllis G wrote:

You don't know what kind of private feedback they left. I'd find out if I could refund their $20 

Private feedback remains when a job is refunded.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Phyllis G wrote:

You don't know what kind of private feedback they left. I'd find out if I could refund their $20 

Private feedback remains when a job is refunded.

In that case, never mind, keep the $20.

@Phyllis G. wrote:

You don't know what kind of private feedback they left. I'd find out if I could refund their $20 and get the job taken off my record. Not because you don't deserve the $20 but because it might not be worth that to have a worse ding.

Even if she does refund the private feedback still remains. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Ha Ha me and Rene answered at the same time.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Ashley, just to muddy the waters a bit, you're top rated, though 91% Job Success is a bit precarious, so you have the option to remove one feedback, unless you've already removed a feedback in the last 3 months/10 jobs. But if I were in your situation, if I had to choose, I'd remove the 4.0 feedback you received, rather than this 4.5 you received; that's not to say you should remove any feedback at this stage, since there's no telling when a client might drop a catastrophic feedback on you.