🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client wants PDF AGREEMENT
Page options
cmdcodemaster
Community Member

Client wants PDF AGREEMENT

hello again UPWORK Gurus and Contributors, Moderators.

Clients wants a PDF Agreement. He sent me a PDF where can I put my Name, ID number and ID photo. In short, personal information. I smell something fishy here.

He said after I will sign it, he will hire in me in upwork and paid me here.

Is this a scam?

Thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John L wrote:

NDA that has a 10 pages. It is the first time I encountered it, 10 pages at the bottom it a signature over my printed name. It is also indicate my Name and address. and at the end of document it requires my ID.

Is that normal that NDA have to attach an Identification card?

A 10 page NDA????? Never heard of such a long one unless the client is an agent with the FBI or CIA.  This might be one hell of a secret job.  And there is, IMO no need for a client to see a freelancer's drivers license, passport/visa information or any other personal information (bank accounts, social security numbers or credit card/Paypal information.  I can't even imagine what content is in that 10 page NDA. Giving personal information such as the above and what is asked on that NDA opens yourself up to identity theft. 

Although this client has several so called successful jobs completed, it still gives me cause to doubt this job. 

Have you discussed this 10 page NDA , why you will not provide that or any personal information and why would they need that? 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
kat303
Community Member

John L wrote:

hello again UPWORK Gurus and Contributors, Moderators.

Clients wants a PDF Agreement. He sent me a PDF where can I put my Name, ID number and ID photo. In short, personal information. I smell something fishy here.

He said after I will sign it, he will hire in me in upwork and paid me here.

Is this a scam?

Thank you in advance.

There's nothing wrong with signing a NDA. Many freelancers here have no problem doing that. But....

it depends on what the NDA contains. What stipulations does it address etc. Watch out for non compete clauses or any other type of clauses what seem out of the ordinary. I've heard of clauses such as "if you don't finish the job by X time on X day you will not get paid." or "if I find 1 mistake you will not be paid." 

As for putting your name, that's ok, but ID number? What ID number? and if they want a photo of you, it's available on your profile. No need to send any type of photo. Asking for anyt other personal information should not be included or given. 

Hello maam.

He wants ID number of Drivers license or passport number.

And he wants to attach the photo of my Identification card.

its like a professional contract.

It is Preferred Supplier agreement.

re: "He wants ID number of Drivers license or passport number. And he wants to attach the photo of my Identification card. its like a professional contract."

Sounds like an identity thief.

Tell him Upwork has your information on file.

Thank you Sir Preston. I think it si an NDA, But at the end of PDF. I need to attach my Identity Proof or Identification card (scanned).

NDA that has a 10 pages. It is the first time I encountered it, 10 pages at the bottom it a signature over my printed name. It is also indicate my Name and address. and at the end of document it requires my ID.

re: "Is that normal that NDA have to attach an Identification card?"

Honestly? No, I don't think it is normal.

I don't know what to tell you, John. I don't know if this client is a scammer or legitimate.

But I can tell you that I have had over 200 jobs on Upwork. I have never had a client ask me for my driver's license or passport.

I don't like it.

I have signed dozens of NDAs for Upwork clients.

None of those has ever asked for my driver's license or passport or photo ID.

Yes sir Preston. It is between legitimate and scam/identity thief.

Becasue the client have 17 good reviews and good hire rate.

John L wrote:

A 10 page NDA????? Never heard of such a long one unless the client is an agent with the FBI or CIA.  This might be one hell of a secret job.  And there is, IMO no need for a client to see a freelancer's drivers license, passport/visa information or any other personal information (bank accounts, social security numbers or credit card/Paypal information.  I can't even imagine what content is in that 10 page NDA. Giving personal information such as the above and what is asked on that NDA opens yourself up to identity theft. 

Although this client has several so called successful jobs completed, it still gives me cause to doubt this job. 

Have you discussed this 10 page NDA , why you will not provide that or any personal information and why would they need that? 

Hi John,

I would strongly recommend not to share this type of information with your client/s. If your client needs any information they can reach out to our Customer Support directly and our team will assist them further. 

Could you also send me the job post via PM so that our team can review it? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes sir Goran.

The client have good 17 reviews and good hire rate. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths