🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants a "favor"
Page options
sparkesusan
Community Member

Client wants a "favor"

I have a client who is asking for a "favor" and even said it outright, even after I asked him to add a milestone. I am aware that this is a violation of the TOS and have reported the message. However, the contract is still open and if I close the contract, will he still be allowed to leave me negative feedback? And, if the contract is ended by me, will I be able to block him then?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
renata101
Community Member

Hi Susan,

I'm not trying to second-guess your take on the situation, but sometimes it can be good to (gently to firmly) repeat yourself or provide a different line of reasoning for why you can't provide free service. Have you tried explaining why you need to set up the milestone (either in terms of your own need to be paid or the terms of service or both)? 

Just a thought. It's usually better to try to see if there's anything you can do in the way of damage control before closing a contract.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
renata101
Community Member

Hi Susan,

I'm not trying to second-guess your take on the situation, but sometimes it can be good to (gently to firmly) repeat yourself or provide a different line of reasoning for why you can't provide free service. Have you tried explaining why you need to set up the milestone (either in terms of your own need to be paid or the terms of service or both)? 

Just a thought. It's usually better to try to see if there's anything you can do in the way of damage control before closing a contract.

I did end up telling him that doing this would be a violation of the TOS and could cause me to lose the privilege of working here. He did update the contract with another milestone. I felt like he was actually trying to bully me or something. 

Well actually not quite right, the freelancer faces no punishment for doing free work, only the client. It seems to have done the trick, but a better educated client would have called you out. 

A better educated client would never have asked for free work. Or rather, should not have. Either way, it worked out.

I'm glad to hear that helped. I know a few people with big personalities, and sometimes just saying "no" a few times in a friendly but firm way can be very clarifying for them.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members