🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants a what's app call and I don't
Page options
pallavi_graphics
Community Member

Client wants a what's app call and I don't

Hi,

I am a newbie here, and I know I should keep all conversation with clients on Upwork, but just received a reply on one of my proposal from a client he wants a what's app call. I am new on Upwork and still seeking art to write proposal and hardly gets reply. The client is taking 2 interviews, one of them is me and I want to win this job. How can I politely request the client to call through Upwork. Plus I don't want to share my number, I don't trust him.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Pallavi,

Our updated TOS applies to both freelancers and clients. 
You can politely remind your client that communicating outside of Upwork is not allowed and ask them for a voice/video call on Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Pallavi,

Please keep in mind that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is formed is a violation of our TOS. 
You can learn more about the changes to our TOS Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes i am aware of that, but my question is how do i polietly, without offending him ask him to contact on Upwork only. 

Does Upwork set any rules for clients also to not to ask freelancers to go outside upwork?? Or everything is just for freelancers?

Hi Pallavi,

Our updated TOS applies to both freelancers and clients. 
You can politely remind your client that communicating outside of Upwork is not allowed and ask them for a voice/video call on Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Pallavi S wrote:

Yes i am aware of that, but my question is how do i polietly, without offending him ask him to contact on Upwork only. 

Does Upwork set any rules for clients also to not to ask freelancers to go outside upwork?? Or everything is just for freelancers?

If the client is offended when you remind him of the ToS, which you need to adhere to in order to not get banned, you don't want to work with this client anyway. 

Yes you are right. Thanks

Pallavi S wrote:

Clients see this every time they log in...clients see.png

Thank you all for help.

Pallavi S.,

As an Upwork freelancer, you will often be disappointed if you expect all clients will care about, know or adhere to all of Upwork's requirements.

Every client who has contacted me since the new  requirement for nothing-but-Upwork calls took effect has requested a phone call. I tell them something along the lines of -

Under Upwork's new rule, before we have a contract in place you and I have to communicate via the Upwork VOIP system, which is available by clicking on the phone handset button in the top right corner of this message board. Please let me know what day and time you'd like to have a call on that system.

So far, none have objected. But I'm sure there will be many who do object, and you might run across some of them. Good luck deciding what to do if a potential client refuses to use that system. 

Thanks, I have asked him to call through Upwork, let's see what he says.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members