🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants me to send final documents (whic...
Page options
translexitalian
Community Member

Client wants me to send final documents (which may need amending) outside Upwork

Good morning all,

I submitted my work for a client (fixed price contract) on time yesterday through the platform. Once the contract started, he emailed requesting that we communicate via email including his team members for convenience. I accepted this.

However, I have received an email this morning in which he says that he “doesn’t really use Upwork” and asking me to send him the work directly via email.

I find this dubious; he contacted me on Upwork, our contract is on Upwork, and he will pay me through Upwork. (I’ve checked, payment is verified and cash is held in escrow).

I emailed him politely saying that as our contract is on Upwork, I’ve uploaded on Upwork. I've noted the points in the documents that may need clarification, saying I will happily amend them according to his requirements).

This he “doesn’t really use Upwork” is nonsense- he contacted me there!

I’d be grateful for advice as to how to handle – I’ve been using Upwork for a while and haven’t experienced this before. (I’ve also had other red flags with this client; for eg. he wanted to know when exactly I was working on his project – the reason I’m a freelancer is so I don’t have to answer to anyone else!)

Thanks for your help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Alexandra,

I often have clients who, for one reason or another, don't like to use the Upwork message board.

For these clients (all of whose projects are hourly), I send my work to them via their preferred email address and send the same message and attachment to the client via the Upwork project message board with the notation "SENT VIA EMAIL" at the top of the message. This means there is a an Upwork trail of work I've submitted to the client.

For fixed price projects, in order to get paid for each milestone you don't have any choice but to formally submit work via the project's "Submit" button, but you can also send the same message and work attachment via email.

This satisfies honest customers and means it will be easier for anyone to track the work I've done on the project.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Alexandra,

I often have clients who, for one reason or another, don't like to use the Upwork message board.

For these clients (all of whose projects are hourly), I send my work to them via their preferred email address and send the same message and attachment to the client via the Upwork project message board with the notation "SENT VIA EMAIL" at the top of the message. This means there is a an Upwork trail of work I've submitted to the client.

For fixed price projects, in order to get paid for each milestone you don't have any choice but to formally submit work via the project's "Submit" button, but you can also send the same message and work attachment via email.

This satisfies honest customers and means it will be easier for anyone to track the work I've done on the project.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

There's nothing wrong with sending documents via email; some clients do prefer to communicate that way. If you want to have a record of what's happened on Upwork, you can still upload documents to the messages board and/or use the submit button to send your work, in addition to emailing it. If a client has a simple request like this - that will only take a few seconds of your time - I see no reason to be difficult about it.

Alexandra S wrote:

(I’ve also had other red flags with this client; for eg. he wanted to know when exactly I was working on his project – the reason I’m a freelancer is so I don’t have to answer to anyone else!)

I don't agree that that's what it means to be a freelancer; I always keep clients updated and let them know what I'm doing and when they can expect to receive work. It's just basic customer service, IMO. (You might want to keep in mind that "Cooperation" is one of the criteria that you'll be rated on.)

I have clients who prefer not to message through Upwork. There's nothing wrong with it.

And a client has every right to ask when they can expect to recieved work. They are paying for it after all.

I'm fully aware of precisely what it means to be a freelancer, and I assure you that all my clients are fully apprised of deadlines, which I always meet. I will clarify for you, as you appear to have misunderstood. The client wanted to know when I was working on his project, as in a boss/employee relationship. That is absolutely not what it means to be a freelancer.  Thank you for your input nonetheless.

r2streu
Community Member

TOS say you have to contact only through Upwork during negotiation, but are free to contact off-platform once a contract is in place. TOS also says they have to PAY you through the Upwork platform. 

But as far as speedy communications and file transfers, I do whatever the client prefers/whatever works the best. I tend to use Dropbox to send client files personally because they often exceed Upwork's limit. 

So far none of your red flags are really red flags. Clients have the right to know when to expect your completed work, and to choose the manner of delivery. Needing to know EXACTLY when I'm working on their stuff is a little micro-managery, but not really outside the realm of reasonable. 

If it's a good client (meaning they pay well and you enjoy the work), I would apologize and say you misunderstood upwork's terms and are of course willing to send your files through their preferred method. 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I'd say send him the files both through Upwork so that your work is documented, and also send them via his email if that's what he wants.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Of course he doesn't really use upwork. He's a client! He doesn't go through the job feed daily. He doesn't look through the forum when he is bored. He doesn't have the website open all day. He doesn't have time for that. He has a job that needs to be done, and that's it. 

Don't alienate clients just because they don't think like a freelancer. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members