cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants me to send the transcribed file over email cause she has 'limited web at the moment'

Highlighted
Makrand R Member Since: Mar 9, 2017
1 of 4

Few days ago I got an invitation from a client and she was looking for freelancers for an ongoing project. Verified client with 50,000$ already billed. The job posted was a sample trial audio which needed to be transcribed for 5$. The client was taking ~15+ interviews at that moment and had already hired 3 people. She asked me to send the transcription of the trial audio for 5$ through upwork,which would later be reviewed(she didn't make an offer and didn't escrow fund me the payment which kinda raised redflags but I thought that since she is interviewing so many people ,it would be weird to fund everyone willing to take up the job.)I transcribed the file and sent it to her through the upwork message app. And later she messages me that she will review the file and provide feedback(if any)(IF ANY!!??) and she also wanted me to send her the file via email cause she is out of office and has limited web access.

I didn't send the file on email but asked her to open up the contract and make the work official;but haven't heard from her yet.

Now I understand that asking to do work for free is against Upwork's TOS ,but I don't really know what do on from here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 4

@Makrand R wrote:

Few days ago I got an invitation from a client and she was looking for freelancers for an ongoing project. Verified client with 50,000$ already billed. The job posted was a sample trial audio which needed to be transcribed for 5$. The client was taking ~15+ interviews at that moment and had already hired 3 people. She asked me to send the transcription of the trial audio for 5$ through upwork,which would later be reviewed(she didn't make an offer and didn't escrow fund me the payment which kinda raised redflags but I thought that since she is interviewing so many people ,it would be weird to fund everyone willing to take up the job.)I transcribed the file and sent it to her through the upwork message app. And later she messages me that she will review the file and provide feedback(if any)(IF ANY!!??) and she also wanted me to send her the file via email cause she is out of office and has limited web access.

I didn't send the file on email but asked her to open up the contract and make the work official;but haven't heard from her yet.

Now I understand that asking to do work for free is against Upwork's TOS ,but I don't really know what do on from here.

It seems clear to me that you understand that working for free is "against Upwork's TOS".  Additionally, it looks like you're fresh from high school and that you are an 18-year old (or older) freelancer who is capable of learning from your mistakes.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
3 of 4

I would not send the file. If she is legitimately hiring, she may not hire you- but if she is trying to get people to translate for free you will at least not be a participant. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

re: "Now I understand that asking to do work for free is against Upwork's TOS ,but I don't really know what do on from here."

Makrand:

You said that a client asked you to do transcription work, which you did. Then you sent the final transcript to her. All without having a contract in place.

So you worked for free.

Freelancers who work for free like this are a huge problem for Upwork. I would like to see them suspended. Not just you specifically, of course. You're a nice person who made a bad mistake. I mean generally.

What should you do now? You have two options:

a) do nothing

b) report the client/flag the job posting for "asking for free work", which is an Upwork ToS violation.

Either way, you worked for free. You will not get paid for this work. There is no real "job." Just a scam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS