🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants me to work for a few weeks befor...
Page options
lirette-sandi
Community Member

Client wants me to work for a few weeks before going through Upwork?

Hi everyone! I am brand new to Upwork. I was so excited when I got my first interview today, but the interview set off some red flags. The interview was through google hangouts chat and he informed me that it was a long term position, but that they wanted to pay outside of Upwork, at least partially.  Additionally, they wanted 3 weeks of work before any contract.  I bowed out gracefully. I told him I did not think that I was the right fit and thanked him for his time. I’m wondering if this is common? It was really discouraging for my first interview. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joansands
Community Member

Sandi - The minute someone asks me to chat on Google Hangouts, I head for the door.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
versailles
Community Member

It's the oldest scam around here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Ugh. Great. Well, I’m glad I didn’t let my excitement override my common sense, I guess.  

Are scams common on this site? I also am new here and spoke with a gentleman yesterday through text as my "interview" who was eager for me to sign the contract. It didn't feel right at all and also wanted to pay me out of upwork. I declined the offer but feel really uneasy continuing with this site, seems like they don't screen their clients enough to protect us.

Christina F wrote:
I feel really uneasy continuing with this site, seems like they don't screen their clients enough to protect us.

You need to protect yourself, understand the rules and be wide awake. You are on the Internet, not in Kindergarten. A little common sense keeps you quite safe. It is quite difficult to be scammed if you pay attention to a couple of absolute rules.

1) No Upwork contract - no nothing

2) All payment, for anything at all, must go through Upwork.

As soon as a client tell you they'll get you all sorts of stuff and are sending a check for it, you are talking to a scammer.

Once you gain traction, you don't get the scammers anymore, they only tend to go after newbies who might be naive enough to think there would be anyone in their right mind who would send a real check to a stranger on the Internet.

re: "Are scams common on this site?"

Common? For me, no.

I am never contacted by scammers in the invitations I receive, and I never encounter scammers when I apply to jobs.

For newbies, yes. Newbies often encounter scammers. Especially entry-level newbies (such as yourself) and U.S.-based newbies (such as yourself).

Preston H wrote:

re: "Are scams common on this site?"

Common? For me, no.

I am never contacted by scammers in the invitations I receive, and I never encounter scammers when I apply to jobs.

For newbies, yes. Newbies often encounter scammers. Especially entry-level newbies (such as yourself) and U.S.-based newbies (such as yourself).

I still get them...no idea why. e-bay listings, data entry, people excitedly informing me that I could make up to $1,000/month...

joansands
Community Member

Sandi - The minute someone asks me to chat on Google Hangouts, I head for the door.

Thank you! I will know better next time. 

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

As soon as I see the words "Google Hangouts"...I stop reading and flag it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members