Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants money back and comes with false accusations

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 13

Johan D wrote:

I will never accept that a person is accusing me of a crime, especially since I didnt do anything and that there is no proof to support her claim. I do not see why I should not proceed with a lawyer and win this.

You cant be serious with that my location is relevant. By that you are also saying that if I did live in California and was accused of this I should take action and spend the money on a lawyer. That means that you do think that a lawyer is needed here, but ONLY if I live in her location. Sorry but that does not make any sense, why should I get in touch with a lawyer if I did live there but not if I dont live there?

And if you say that I shouldnt get a lawyer even if I did live there then my location is not relevant.

Sorry for the tone here but I really dont think that these type of clients should be allowed on this platform and I wonder what Upwork will do about it since they have not taken any actions yet, despite being notified long time ago.

lol you're gonna have a hard time here if these dumb things bother you. Who cares what she says. Just answer the question if it's escrow or hourly. If escrow, dispute. If hourly, you get payment protection as long as you followed the tracker rules.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 13

Johan:
I appreciate your detailed description of what happened with this contract.

I really am sorry that you ended up having to deal with a client who is behaving in such an unethical, unprofessional manner.

I agree with Petra that going outside of Upwork (such as talking to an attorney) isn't going to benefit you. But if you have questons about how to proceed here on Upwork, then feel free to ask as many questions as you want to. There are many, many people here who are happy to help Upwork users in situations like this.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
13 of 13

Johan,

An honest person is right to be incensed when they are accused of doing something dishonest.

But, as a freelancer on Upwork who never meets his clients, you're going to have to reconcile yourself to not let idiot clients worry you and learn to vet your potential clients before you agree to work with them, manage their expectations of your work before and during the contract and decide how you are going to firmly say "No" when a client makes unjustified requests.

Scope creep can be a big problem for any freelancer who can't say "No" to clients. The better you define your work product before the project begins, the easier it will be to refuse doing work that comes up during the project that the client didn't tell you about before the contract began and isn't willing to pay for.

All of the above is an art, not a science. It will take time for you to figure out your best defense - how you can weed out wackadoodle (or dishonest) clients before you even agree to work with them.

I hope this was an hourly contract for which you properly used TimeTracker to track all of your work time. That will mean she has no leg to stand on if she starts talking about a refund from you, and you can ignore her (but pay close attention to any instructions Upwork sends you about her complaints on this project) and move on to finding new and much better clients. 

Unless this was a VERY high value project, forget about lawyers. The expense would not be worth your time and effort. If this project ends up going to arbitration, which is probably unlikely, that will cost you $291. 

There are many ways within Upwork's rules to defend yourself from unreasonable clients, but none of them are perfect: if possible, do only hourly contracts (especially with new clients), always properly document your work time on TimeTracker (don't use "manual" time), clearly define the work product (what you will and will not provide) before you agree to a contract, etc.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS