Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants money for good feedback.((((

grigoryan_levon
Levon G Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 19

Hello Upworkers!

One of my last clients asked money for a good feedback via Skype. Sure I have declined to pay him, hoping that he will be objective anyways. The work was done perfectly, all the goals were reached and in time. And after I didn't pay him, he gave me 4.10, without any reason.

So I made a screenshot of conversation with him. I provided Upwork support the screenshot, where this client wanted money from me for feedback. And Upwork decided to apply sanctions to this client. But is this fair decision?

I am top rated freelancer with 91% job success this moment. I think the fair decision would be removing this feedback from my profile. But Upwork support tells that feedback may be deleted only in very rare ocassions. 

Isn't this very rare ocassion ? Client is not giving high feedback, because I haven't payed him $20 he was asking for highest ranks ? I think this is not fare really.

Please, if there is someone from Upwork support and understands this is really unfair, help me with this non-objective feedback to be deleted and not to be considered.

Thanks!

monstersong
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
2 of 19

Hi, Levon. Sorry to hear about this situation. That's awful. The client's feedback should clearly be removed. There's no reason or excuse to leave it up.

grigoryan_levon
3 of 19

Oh Patrick!

I really appreciate you understand my situation as well. I hope someone from Upwork will hear about this from here and help me with this.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 19

This is terrible. Your held for ransom and the client is in the wrong and you proved it. This is a RARE incident and the feedback  should be removed. Ask for a manage of Customer Support to review the situation and please let us know what happens.

tgano
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
5 of 19

Levon, I am sorry you had to deal with that....but do not hold your breath...upworks could care less how that affects you. The freelancer has zero say in any of this.

I hope someone will take you seriously and do something about it...but based on the dismal track record around here...they will do nothing.

upworks is clueless to devious and vindictive clients...in their special happy place....clients are perfect.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 19

re: "Client wants money for good feedback. Isn't this very rare ocassion?"

This is rare. And it is grounds for the client to be removed from the platform.

grigoryan_levon
7 of 19

If you want to know my oppinion:

The most important fact in this situation is this feedback was not objective and has policy violation. And it shouldn't be considered.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 19

Hi Levon,

I have reviewed the ticket and the evidence provided by you and your client to our team. While I will not be able to share a lot of details here in the forums, I would like to note that our team is communicating with the client about this issue. Also, I would like to ask you to please avoid asking your clients to give you a highest or five star feedback. 

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork
grigoryan_levon
9 of 19

Hi dear Valeria!

Thank you for your reply.

I know it really seems like I was asking him for 5 stars or highest ranks, but I was not. I just wanted to check out, will this client be objective or not?  because I already had a feeling he will not - considering his manners in skype conversation.

Thanks.

grigoryan_levon
10 of 19

Dear Valeria K,

I know Upwork is not investigating any feedback and so far. But I feel I have to post some details regarding this incident. 

This contract was not the only one I had with this client. We had already 2 other contracts before this one. And he was always happy with my work. Everything ruined with him, when once he hadn't payed his card and some manual hours added were removed. I contacted Upwork support, and they told me that client has to make a bonus payment - for the manual time removed to be released. When I told the client that he will have to make bonus payment, he was angry and was telling that he will not make it, because Upwork will release the payment automatically after he pays his card. I asked him - if the payment will not be automatically released, will he make a bonus payment? He said "No, the payment will be automatically released. You will see. They can't eat my money". 

And after he payed his card and the payment was not released, maybe this hurted him as well. He understood he was wrong and got angry with this situation I was right. 

This incident made him change his mind about our relationship. And after all this, I have asked him, "can I hope your good feedback" ? His answer was "that will cost you $20".  

Why I have mentioned all this above - I want to quote, that "I never ask the clients for good feedback" - I know the Upwork policies and I know it is not allowed as well. Also I understand this is not professional to ask for...In this situation I have asked, because I already had a feeling he will not be objective as well, because of the incident about payment release.

And he left me poor feedback after that. Everything I have mentioned above I can prove by screenshots of our skype conversation.

Thank you for your attention. I really hope everything I have mentioned will be considered as well.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS