cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants refund on finished work

zpsztor
Zsolt P Member Since: May 2, 2018
1 of 5

Client wants refund on finished hourly paid work. He thinks I did a bad job for April. I disagree with him at some point. If I refuse to pay back he will dispute through Upwork. Do I have to pay back even if I don't have money on my account ? I little bit confused in this situation.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

Check your work diary for the last 30 days.

Are all hours and screenshots:

• properly tracked (NOT manual)
  • have meaningful work memos
  • adequate activity levels
  • are only work related
  • show you clearly working on the client's project?

The client may be bluffing, and initially can only dispute last week's hours, but ultimately they COULD take the dispute further to include more weeks and then your work diary will be the deciding factor.

zpsztor
Zsolt P Member Since: May 2, 2018
3 of 5

He also wants me to work for free for previous months otherwise he will start a dispute. How can I protect myself and reputation on Upwork ?

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 5

Hi Zsolt,

Check out our guide for Hourly Protection for Freelancers to learn more on how you`re protected in this cases.
If your client asks for a refund you will have 7 days to approve or reject the refund request and a dispute will be opened.

I`m sorry about the confusion, the instructions above are for fixed price contracts only. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 5

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Zsolt,

Check out our guide for Hourly Protection for Freelancers to learn more on how you`re protected in this cases.
If your client asks for a refund you will have 7 days to approve or reject the refund request and a dispute will be opened. I`m sorry about the confusion, the instructions above are for fixed price contracts only. Thank you!

No. That's for fixed price. For hourly the client initiates the dispute and the OP would NOT have 7 days time to respond

@Zsolt P wrote:

He also wants me to work for free for previous months otherwise he will start a dispute. How can I protect myself and reputation on Upwork ?

Again:

Check your work diary for the last 30 days.

Are all hours and screenshots:

• properly tracked (NOT manual)
  • have meaningful work memos
  • adequate activity levels
  • are only work related
  • show you clearly working on the client's project?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS