cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants to cancel contract after 50% of work completed

Highlighted
Chris M Member Since: Nov 12, 2018
11 of 20

I disagree. I have worked with clients like this in the past and have completed their projects. I understand your perspective, but this is not a case where I am harrasing the client because I have already gave my response and now I am just giving them time to think about it. I have some clients that go away for a month and come back to finish the job. So while I understand your perpective, I want to allow them the time to consider finishing the job for the benefit of both of us.  Thank you for your thoughts. - Chris

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 20

Chris M wrote:

I disagree.

OK. Good luck.

I can tell you now that if this goes to dispute / arbitration, you will have a hell of a hard time getting paid for anything you did after being told by the client that the project is cancelled.

Highlighted
13 of 20

I think there was a misunderstanding. No additional work has been done since the client gave their message.  It is all on hold now and the client has not taken any action.  The project is simply on hold for the time being.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
14 of 20

Chris M wrote:

Thank you everyone for you advice. This is a fixed price contract that is fully funded. The client's last message was that they don't want to continue work, but I am still trying to convince them to continue. No response in 1 week. I did not think of submitting the work for the milestone, but that seems to be a good last resort if they do not respond in the next couple weeks.  Again thank you for all your advice. - Chris

You must be good at what you do or you wouldn't be able to command over $1,500 for a logo (which is at least $1,000 more than I've seen most logo projects go for on Upwork). I'm just wondering how much more time you're willing to spend on the whole "convincing" process? Two one-hour conversations with the client and you're still not on the same page - I wouldn't have the tenacity to continue. And now they've said flat-out that they want to end the project. What do you say to salvage situations like this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 20

Christine A wrote:

Chris M wrote:

You must be good at what you do or you wouldn't be able to command over $1,500 for a logo (which is at least $1,000 more than I've seen most logo projects go for on Upwork)

Alitalia paid $ 100.000+ to redesign theirs like this:

alitalia.jpg

Not on Upwork, obviously.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 20

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Chris M wrote:

You must be good at what you do or you wouldn't be able to command over $1,500 for a logo (which is at least $1,000 more than I've seen most logo projects go for on Upwork)

alitalia.jpg

Yep, gradients are back in style - I could have told Alitalia that for free.

Anyway, I know what logos go for in the real world. (I'm still reeling over how much the London 2012 Olympics paid for its shockingly awful design.) But $1,550 is a pretty good rate for Upwork. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
17 of 20

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Chris M wrote:

alitalia.jpg

The Alitalia people are idiots. I would have done it for 50K.

Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 20

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Chris M wrote:

alitalia.jpg

The Alitalia people are idiots. I would have done it for 50K.

To be fair, I think the agency did do a nice job if the brief was just for a subtle modernisation/update. And they probably spent tens of thousands just pitching to get the job in the first place. It's a different league than I'm playing in, obviously.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
19 of 20

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Chris M wrote:

alitalia.jpg

Maybe the client realized he can get the same thing from somebody for 10 bucks. 

Highlighted
20 of 20

Hi Christine, it takes a lot of work to get the higher paying jobs, but they exist from time to time. For me each job is important because I have an interview process for each client before I even accept their work, and this client passed. I am willing to make less money to make the client happy and to go above and beyond because ultimately each succesful job on upwork helps me get more larger paying jobs outside of upwork.

The two one hour conversations were for the initial logo proposal and it did seem like we were on the same page because I followed their directions. But the client often does not know how to express what they want and even if the first round of logos does not connect with them, the feedback on what they like or dislike about each concept can be used like a compass to find out what designs will be aligned with their vision.

My desire to go above and beyond for my clients is why I am able to get decent paying logo jobs on upwork. Not all clients care about quality, but for those that do they will pay more to get it done right so that they don't waste more time and money in the future.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS