cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants to cancel job after receiving the task and wants to change it.

gakukid991
Active

Hello guys.
I have a client which we agreed on a task and I completed it. Now because the job doesn't work like he had predicted it (I completed it like the description needed but he made a mistake on the job needed).
Now he wants to cancel the job saying it didn't work like he needed it.

Now I have no control on the thing he wanted to make it work like and completed the task just like he wanted.

What am I supposed to do? I mean I did spent my time to make it like he wanted and it works like intended.

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Guru

This is fine. A client may cancel (or "close") a contract AT ANY TIME, for any reason.

If this is an hourly contract, this is fine. The client may close the contract. You will be paid for all the work you logged time doing. Cancelling the contract doesn't change the fact that you get paid for the work that you did.

if this is a fixed-price contract, all the client needs to do is click his client-side button to close the contract. He will be prompted to release any funds in escrow to you. This is FINE. A client is NOT OBLIGATED to wait until you submit work. He may close the contract and release the money to you at any time.

As long as the client isn't trying to avoid paying you for the work that you already did, there is no problem here.

Preston H wrote:

This is fine. A client may cancel (or "close") a contract AT ANY TIME, for any reason.

if this is a fixed-price contract, all the client needs to do is click his client-side button to close the contract. He will be prompted to release any funds in escrow to you. This is FINE. A client is NOT OBLIGATED to wait until you submit work. He may close the contract and release the money to you at any time.

Why are you assuming the client has any intention of paying anything?

It is pretty clear from the post that the client has no such intention.

"Cancel a contract" means close it and request funds back.

If the job was done and the money in question is worth it, the OP can file a dispute.

He was saying that it was my code problem. Now when I tell him to wait and let me show him some proff that it works as intended he said that he will release the funds and just wanted for me to do the other thing since it will not take much time and build relationship.
As he said its not like it would take me alot of time it just that I don't like clients who make my work seem dishonest just to get a free task.

Guess this will be my first 1 start review 😞

re: "Why are you assuming the client has any intention of paying anything? It is pretty clear from the post that the client has no such intention."

A client who hires a freelancer to do a task using a fixed-price contract, and then doesn't pay the freelancer when the agreed-upon task has been completed, is a bad client and a bad person.

Preston H wrote:

A client who hires a freelancer to do a task using a fixed-price contract, and then doesn't pay the freelancer when the agreed-upon task has been completed, is a bad client and a bad person.

Yes. So what?

How does that help the OP when he is confronted with a client doing just that?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS