🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to cancel the project and get ba...
Page options
shreyasingh24
Community Member

Client wants to cancel the project and get back the payment from Escrow!

I am one of the top rated freelancers on upwork and I am facing this type of issue for the first time. One of my clients is giving me nightmares. They have hired me for the SEO and now treating me as they are expert of everything and I know nothing about SEO. I have written over 2000 words content for their website and they have uploaded them on the website without saying me anything now when I have provided them content for the SEO they are saying there is issues in the content and I dont want to continue with you so please cancel the project with the mutual agreement and let us take all the money back from the escrow. I need help from you guys to handle this situation. I don't know what should I do as I have done lots of work for them in the last two weeks and I have spend lots of my time in writing content and auditing their website. Should I go for the dispute with the upwork as I think this is the only option left for me now. Please advice me guys. 

2 REPLIES 2
robin_hyman
Community Member

Shreya K wrote:

They have hired me for the SEO and now treating me as they are expert of everything and I know nothing about SEO. I have written over 2000 words content for their website and they have uploaded them on the website without saying me anything now when I have provided them content for the SEO they are saying there is issues in the content and I dont want to continue with you so please cancel the project with the mutual agreement and let us take all the money back from the escrow. I need help from you guys to handle this situation. I don't know what should I do as I have done lots of work for them in the last two weeks and I have spend lots of my time in writing content and auditing their website. Should I go for the dispute with the upwork as I think this is the only option left for me now. Please advice me guys. 

Hi Shreya,

I'm sorry you're going through this.  If you provided the content and the client used that content, they need to pay for the agreed upon work.  It appears that the client is trying to take advantage of you by being condescending.  It's NOT cool.  Yes, you'll have to dispute and possibly go into arbritration for $291.  If they money they owe is more than this amount, I would do it.  

You have a great profile and this should not deter you from applying and getting other jobs on the platform.  If you receive poor feedback from this client, just use your Top Rated benefit to remove the feedback ASAP.  

This too shall pass... Good luck to you!

robin_hyman
Community Member

Petra, a community Guru, has just posted this on another post and it's relevant to your situation:

When you pay for arbitration, one of 3 things happens then:

1. You pay for arbitration, the client does not: You get the Escrow funds and your arbitration money back.
  2. You do not pay for arbitration and the client does: The client gets the Escrow funds and their arbitration money back.
  3. You both pay the arbitration fee: The matter moves to arbitration (nobody gets the arbitration fee back)
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members