🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to change hourly rate to fixed
Page options
cb67bab6
Community Member

Client wants to change hourly rate to fixed

So me and my client are in a current project of "Photoshop and Lightroom Tutorial" we both agreed on a contract that says $28/hourly, 30hrs per week (she eventually set it to no limit) 

So 1st week of our project I have already made the materials needed (not completely finished) for our tutorials. She messaged me and said she wanted to change the hourly to fixed because it exceeds her budget. 

The fixed she proposed was $150 per week which is really far from what we agreed on. 

What should I do? 

7 REPLIES 7
penngrp
Community Member

It is your business, and your client, correct? In that case you are the only one who can make that decision on what you should do, as we are not here to run your business for you. I am not saying this to be sarcatic, I am saying it because it is a fact....But here's a free hint. You could always ask if she"s willing to increase her fixed price budget a little.

bobafett999
Community Member

True.  Only you can decide if it is worthwhile and also remember for fixed price contract you have ZERO protection. Exceeding budget and other stuff are crap excuses.  No money no work

Not long ago there was a lady who was complaining that her hire didn't want to work now pay later scheme.  She claimed that her financial situation had changed and she couldn't afford $200.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I think that you'd be making a big mistake to agree to that. If a client says that she can't afford your prices, that means she needs to find a cheaper freelancer. Turn over the work that you've done so far, and tell her that you have no doubt she'll be able to find another freelancer who fits her budget.

I think the unwritten question also includes: how to manage the situation so he doesn't get a bad review. Given he's new to Upwork.

"I'm sorry to hear that your budget is limited. I'll be happy to turn over the work that I've done so far, and trust that you'll be able to find another freelancer to accommodate you."

prestonhunter
Community Member

Just say no.

This is business.

If the client can't afford your services, that is fine. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

But it doesn't mean you owe the client anything.

Don't switch to fixed-price.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

You want to minimise what damage the client can do to your nascent profile.

Do not keep more than one contract open with a client except one you have built a strong working relationship with over time.

You absolutely should not let this client have two contracts running with you concurrently. To do so would be to give them free rein to ruin your profile.

If the quality of your deliverables so far have been great, you could ask them to close the first contract and subsequently, decline their fixed price offer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members