🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to change project about to finis...
Page options
186f3cc5
Community Member

Client wants to change project about to finish

I have a project with a client that is 90% finished. The payment should be made once the job is finished. From the beginning the client told me to ask for what I needed if it was necessary to invest in something in the project. And it has been like this, until now last, where he told me that the project could not be finished because he could not pay for an API. The API that I used is a free model and I let the client know that I would try to improve it to 95%, but if it was not possible, he would have to buy an API to have an accuracy of 95% to 99%. I'd improved the free API model to 91.99%, but further than that is not possible.The project to be finished needs to integrate this API and another one (which is not a problem for the project).

As the client cannot afford the first API. He told me we can't finish the project, but the project is possible to finish it still with the free API. 

However, he wants to change the project for another that he already has. I asked him about what would happen to the payment of the first project and he told me not to worry, that he liked how I work and that he would pay me anyway.

I don't have contract for the second project, but about the first I have it, and the payment is on escrow (payment should be made once the job is finished).

What should I do? I am afraid that the client will not pay for the job and cancel the contract, or that they will not pay until I complete the new project. I can still finish the current project with the free API and 91.99% of accuracy.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Benny,

I'm sorry to hear what happened. Remember that Upwork Protection does not cover promised funds as you currently don't have a second contract, but for the first one, you can still submit your work for payment. If in the end the contract is canceled, it can be disputed. I highly recommend that you come to an agreement with your client where you can receive the payment for the work already done on the first contract, as those are the funds that currently qualify for payment protection. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
richard_wein
Community Member

If you've done 90% of the work,  you could submit a request for 90% of the money,  or whatever amount you think is appropriate. When you submit a milestone payment request you can edit the amount. 

LuiggiR

Hi Benny,

I'm sorry to hear what happened. Remember that Upwork Protection does not cover promised funds as you currently don't have a second contract, but for the first one, you can still submit your work for payment. If in the end the contract is canceled, it can be disputed. I highly recommend that you come to an agreement with your client where you can receive the payment for the work already done on the first contract, as those are the funds that currently qualify for payment protection. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi,

my client want to change some parts of the animation after rendering, although we have sent the preview version/playblast and storyboard before rendering and start the work and they have sent me some feedsback and also we have fixed they required.

let me know about this issues!

Thank you

re: "my client want to change some parts of the animation after rendering, although we have sent the preview version/playblast and storyboard before rendering and start the work and they have sent me some feedsback and also we have fixed they required. let me know about this issues"

It is not appropriate for a client to request changes to a fixed-price milestone.

The client needs to release all payment currently in escrow, and then the client may ask you how much you will charge for the changes.

If it was me, I would tell the client:

"Yes, I would be happy to make those changes. Please go ahead and release the current escrow payment and close the contract. After that, we will be able to set up a contract for me to work on the changes."

He didnt approve that assign more budget to change it and also we have changed the characters after animated shots BTW they have approve the characters in the modeling part. now he made a dispute  in upwork 😞

we really upset in this situation

lysis10
Community Member

Benny S wrote:

I have a project with a client that is 90% finished. The payment should be made once the job is finished. From the beginning the client told me to ask for what I needed if it was necessary to invest in something in the project. And it has been like this, until now last, where he told me that the project could not be finished because he could not pay for an API. The API that I used is a free model and I let the client know that I would try to improve it to 95%, but if it was not possible, he would have to buy an API to have an accuracy of 95% to 99%. I'd improved the free API model to 91.99%, but further than that is not possible.The project to be finished needs to integrate this API and another one (which is not a problem for the project).

As the client cannot afford the first API. He told me we can't finish the project, but the project is possible to finish it still with the free API. 

However, he wants to change the project for another that he already has. I asked him about what would happen to the payment of the first project and he told me not to worry, that he liked how I work and that he would pay me anyway.

I don't have contract for the second project, but about the first I have it, and the payment is on escrow (payment should be made once the job is finished).

What should I do? I am afraid that the client will not pay for the job and cancel the contract, or that they will not pay until I complete the new project. I can still finish the current project with the free API and 91.99% of accuracy.

Does the API have a trial period? You could use the trial to finish and then tell him that he'll have to get his own license. If it's a small investment, invest in a key, deliver and tell him it'll only be active for 30 days or whatever until he buys his own key.

186f3cc5
Community Member

this wasn't the case, but everythning was solved, thank you

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client wants to change project about to finish"

That is fine.

A client can change a project.

If a client has hired you using an hourly contract, then the client can ask you to help out in any way she wants. You can say no if you want to.

If a client has hired you with a fixed-price contract, then a client may release all remaining money in escrow to you, and then close the contract. Then the client may ask you to do anything she wants you to. You may agree or not agree. It is up to you.

What should you do now?

Tell the client that you will be happy to work on a new project after the current contract is closed.

If the current project is 90% complete, then tell the client that. Tell him that he can release 90% of the current escrow payment, and receive the rest as a refund. You will approve the refund.

After the client has closed the current contract, then you and the client can discuss new projects that you work like to create contract for.

Thank you Mr. Preston, really helpful!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members