🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client wants to communicate through skype...
Page options
johnkalaitzidis
Community Member

Client wants to communicate through skype after the contract has started.

I got hired for a big job recently through Upwork (the contract has started), but all the communications are made through skype. 
The projects I create are uploaded to google drive after approval through skype.
Can the client avoid payment of a milestone? (The ammount is already in escrow)
If they decline to make a payment can I just attach all the work I created, or should I start sending the files through Upwork as well?
Will  Upwork receive my screenshots of skype as "proof"?
I did not find anything in the TOS.
Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John K wrote:

Am I covered just noting "Document submitted through Google Drive as requested"?
Will  Upwork receive my screenshots as "proof"?

In the case of a dispute, Upwork does not decide anything, they can only make non-binding suggestions.

In the case of a dispute going to actual legally binding arbitration (which is very rare and there is no need to think about it at this stage) nothing that isn't in the actual workroom / messages thread is considered as evidence or proof of anything. 

So there is a small risk.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wescowley
Community Member

Skype and Gdrive are fine to use. As soon as you submit the project on Gdrive, also submit the payment request on the milestone. I usually note something like "Document submitted through Google Drive as requested." Until your comfortable, you may want to take screenshots of the submission just for your records. You could also attach those screenshots to the payment request, but I have never done that.

Hello Wes,

Unfortunately, that is not possible since I am creating multiple projects daily and will get paid every month.
I want to know Upwork's view on communication outside the platform.
Am I covered just noting "Document submitted through Google Drive as requested"?

Thank you,
John

John K wrote:

In the case of a dispute, Upwork does not decide anything, they can only make non-binding suggestions.

In the case of a dispute going to actual legally binding arbitration (which is very rare and there is no need to think about it at this stage) nothing that isn't in the actual workroom / messages thread is considered as evidence or proof of anything. 

So there is a small risk.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths