cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants to pay 50% for about 95% of the work?

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
11 of 62

I believe using promises/threats of feedback to get a reduced fee is against the ToS, so personally I'd report them. You did the job for money; get the money. Anything else is a distraction.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
12 of 62

undefined:

I believe using promises/threats of feedback to get a reduced fee is against the ToS, so personally I'd report them. You did the job for money; get the money. Anything else is a distraction.

Not quite true.
If you file a dispute your job Success score will be affected. Not much but you will usually get a No Feedback from Customer Support. 
If you lose the dispute then the hit to your Job Success will be much more severe.
Community Leader
Michael Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
13 of 62

@Jennifer

No  I was never supposed to write their content for them. I was supposed to create a website, adding the content was something they asked me to do outside of the contract. I completed my job: Create the website.  
They did not pay me for the job I was supposed to do, they claim the content was part of that. And that's why they feel I only deserve 50%.

Also, I just checked - they changed the passwords to the backpanel of the website, so I quickly made screencaps and had webarchive save a copy of the website. Just incase they decide to change anything to make it seem like I did not do my job.

Also, throughout the contract - I sent a copy of every email I sent them (because they wanted that instead of upwork chat) through upwork. Basically, my message history with them is only me sending mails to them, never them sending something back. The only conversations we had were they contacted me back was through skype. 
Which I tried to avoid, but I have learned from that. Certain clients are to be avoided. Especially those who try to avoid certain communication methods...because I should have realized it was sketchy that they avoided upwork's messaging system completely.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 62

re: "I was never supposed to write their content for them. I was supposed to create a website, adding the content was something they asked me to do outside of the contract"

This is is very inappropriate client behavior.

This client should never be trusted with fixed-price contracts... Only hourly.

Your mistake was not pre-screening them with small jobs.

Your best overall career move, after they revealed themselves to be this unreasonable, would have been to accept the 50%, learn from your mistake. Because now you are in the weeds with this situation and it will sap your time that could be spent working on other projects, and this will take its toll on you psychologically and probably on your job score, no matter who "wins" in a dispute.

Community Leader
15 of 62

I didn't dispute it yet, I can still claim the 50% and move forward. It wasn't for a large amount of work, so after having looked at all this - I will most likely decide to take the 50% and move forward.  This has been a good experience for me.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 62

Michael, unless you need the money right away, I suggest you give CS a chance to do something, perhaps a week, because everything I've read suggests you're in the right. Does this 50% offer have an expiration date? If so, you don't have to accept it immediately. 

Payment on a fixed price job should be based on the original job description. If the client adds another requirement after you accepted the contract, they can give you a bonus or fund a new milestone, but there's no justification for reducing the amount originally agreed to. 

17 of 62

I agree with John, Michael. It sounds to me like you did the work and they wanted content later, and maybe you just figured out that content isn't your bag. That's fine. You're not asking for the content payment. You're asking for the website payment.

And Preston, I've flipped the dispute switch far more times on hourly than escrow. Actually, I've never disputed escrow from my end. Had plenty of credit cards fail for hourly. You get 2 days to answer me after the credit card fails and if I don't hear from you, that dispute switch goes active. Telling him that he should have vet the buyer with a small gig is not reasonable. If you do this full time and for a long time, there will be times where things fail and it becomes a dispute. No one should be afraid to take their money. That's what contracts are for. If there were ways we could guarantee outcomes 100%, there would be no reason to have a contract.

The only thing I don't agree with is getting CS involved. I would just try to tackle it head-on and see if you can come to an agreement.

Remember, nobody wants to pay the bill. He could be lowballing you to see if you break. 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 62

@Michael Z wrote:

Certain clients are to be avoided. Especially those who try to avoid certain communication methods...because I should have realized it was sketchy that they avoided upwork's messaging system completely.

Michael,

You've nailed one red flag. I think you've missed another.

Your OP cites "The usual 'We will be  the most prominent company in... and we want long term this and this.'" I see the same kind of language in web content writing RFPs, and only consider it "usual" from prospects who:

• cannot be expected to behave responsibly and professionally
  • have copied their grand hopes and their boilerplate language from some get-rich-quick-on-the-Internet guide
  • are best described as wannapreneurs.

Perhaps your experience is different. I read that kind of language and press delete.,

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
19 of 62

Michael Z.

This is your business, If you did the work, then you should get paid for it. Not 50% or 70% but the full amount that was agreed on. By all means file a dispute. Make sure you have all the documentation and communications that occured between both of you. The more proof you have, the better your chances are. Documentation proof vs. word of mouth will win. Don't surcome to this clients threats.

If you stoop to this clients threats, you not only degrade yourself, but you set a standard for this client. This client will now know what he can do to other contractors and get away with it. In fact he may already have taken advantage of other contractors and now he's trying to do the same to you.

It's NOT the bad feedback (if you get any) that will hurt y ou, it's the response to that that will either do damage or elevate you as a professional. If you rant and rave, call them a lier, tell them they are stupid etc, that will hurt you. Never fire off a response in the heat of the moment. Craft a response, wait a few hours, modify it, put it away for the day and the next day, read and modity it again when you've "cooled" off.

When filing a dispute, as other have said, make sure you respond asap for any email, messages or communication coming from Upwork. There's time limits for responses. Miss those and you loose.

Community Leader
20 of 62

Okay, I just had a reply from upwork support that suggested I do the same and open a dispute.  As for working with this client,  I don't think he intends/ever intended to pay me for work done.  I think he was more looking for a quick and cheap way to have a website setup. 
If I could work something out with him, I would have done that. But as it stands right now, he has already revoked access to the host. I will see how everything goes from here.

I would also just say that the replies here are very insightful..

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS