cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants to pay 50% for about 95% of the work?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 62

Hi Michael,

I am sorry you found yourself in such a tricky situation. After reviewing the contract and the ticket, I would suggest requesting the payment for the work you have done. Make sure you request payment through the system and make sure you do NOT end the contract yourself. Note that if the freelancer ends a contract, there is no option to dispute the amount in Escrow.

Also, the information you have provided has already been escalated to an appropriate team and they will review the client's account.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 62

re: "What is the point of customer support then?"

When the people at Upwork take action against your account, such as blocking withdrawals of your funds or placing your account "on hold"/"on review"/or in "suspension", then it is only by working through Customer Support's instructions to you that you can get the restrictions on your account removed.

Also, Customer Support can provide excellent support to clients, especially new clients, to help them navigate the Upwork system, so that they can hire and pay contractors.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 62

@Valeria K wrote:

Make sure you request payment through the system and make sure you do NOT end the contract yourself. Note that if the freelancer ends a contract, there is no option to dispute the amount in Escrow.

oooh, this is interesting. Exactly why I read here! Good to know!

Community Leader
Michael Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
24 of 62

Alright this is what I've done so far.

Made a copy of all outside chatlogs ( Skype/email)
Made a copy of the current website through webarchive and screencaps.

I have saved everything else I think could be used as a proof of me delivering the work I should have been paid flr.

And most importantly: I have requested/sent work for approval. So I might just keep this updated on how everything goes.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
25 of 62

@Michael Z wrote:

Made a copy of the current website through webarchive and screencaps.

I'm not sure how you developed the web site, but keep in mind that it is your website until the client pays you.  It's not you who has the copy, but them.  Quite possibly one you can issue a DMCA request to prevent them from using illegally . . .

Community Leader
Michael Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
26 of 62

Okay, just a quick question: 

I requested approval for the full amount. Client "requested changes" and wants this changed to 50% and said he would approve that. If I do that, are my chances of getting the full 100% gone? 

I essentially would like to know how to dispute this because I cannot find that option.

Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
27 of 62

If you approve the 50%, you will get 50% and have very little/no chance of receiving full payment.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
28 of 62

@Michael Z wrote:

. If I do that, are my chances of getting the full 100% gone? 

I essentially would like to know how to dispute this because I cannot find that option.

Michael,

Like Patrick said, if you accept 50% then you are bound by that. Why wouldn't you be?

Since you have done all you needed to do and CS is already aware (as well as Valeria getting on your case) of what's going on you don't need to do anything right now. 

Your client will try to make it all go away - just stand your ground and wait for CS to get back to you.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
29 of 62

re: "I'm not sure how you developed the web site, but keep in mind that it is your website until the client pays you.  It's not you who has the copy, but them."

Excellent point. If a client doesn't pay you anything for your work, YOU OWN the whole thing.

In this case, however, the distinction may be purely academic, because he did the work on the client's web server, and they locked him out.

NOT for this reason, but it is worth noting that I do nearly all work on my own servers. So this wouldn't really be an issue for me, personally, but I understand that many projects are not done that way.

I actually do mostly hourly work these days, and I set up my clients with root level access to a private server where they can get to all the work I do for them, all the time.

Because it is an hourly project, every bit of it belongs to them the second I do something. They have constant access in real time.

For a fixed-price project, especially with a new, unfamiliar, untested client, I don't really recommend doing things this way.

Antonio A Member Since: Jul 15, 2015
30 of 62

It absolutely isn't fair considering you finished the job and sweated it out.

Suggest file a complaint; you have a huge chance of winning considering you have the proof.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Antonio
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS