cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants to pay 50% for about 95% of the work?

Community Leader
Michael Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
31 of 62

Okay, 

What I assume from all this - in the future should I just use one of the servers I have to do work and show it to the client?

Charlie E Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
32 of 62

I must say as an Elancer, one thing I prefer about Upwork as compared to Elance (and I mean one thing...) is that freelancers are able to give clients feedback. 

If I was in your situation I would dispute, get your money and leave a review about what happened. You can be assured that no real freelancer would go near the client again. 

Community Leader
33 of 62

I certainly will. Although, let's be honest - if I were to win this dispute, what are the odds of someone with no previous history on upwork hiring here again? If you get caught once, you're unlikely to try again.

I do see that they have another job posted. Hopefully it's a legit job opening. I do hope Upwork looks into it.

Community Leader
34 of 62

"I ended the contract as we agreed. contract was closed as completed, with payment of 50%
overall rating I gave was 4.8 over 5"

Erhm, I haven't agreed on anything?  He asked for a refund in escrow of 50% and managed to approve 50%.

how is it possible for him to do that?

Can someone elaborate? I can decline the refund in escrow

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
35 of 62

For some bizarre and never fully explained reason Upwork has a feature that lets clients release less than the agreed amount from escrow, and goes out of its way to tell them about it. Decline the refund.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
36 of 62

As I understand it, when clients short you, your only recourse is a dispute. I don't know if that is automatic when you refuse to agree to the refund, or is a separate process. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will be along shortly.

Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
37 of 62

"Upwork has a feature that lets clients release less than the agreed amount from escrow, and goes out of its way to tell them about it." 

Hmm, seems to defeat the purpose of escrow as a protection for freelancers. Promoting it encourages clients to agree to the rates of top freelancers and then pay whatever at the end of the contract. 

Smh

Community Guru
38 of 62

"seems to defeat the purpose of escrow as a protection for freelancers"

That's exactly what it does - although, given the confusion over the six-day "security" hold, it's an open question just how much protection Upwork escrow provides anyway.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
39 of 62

Hi Michael,

If the client wants to release only part of the amount, he would have to end the contract and request for the rest to be refunded to him from Escrow. You will be notified about that and have an option to either approve the refund or dispute. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
40 of 62

Why not simply remove that option? It should be up to clients to initiate a dispute if they don't want to pay the full amount. I don't see why freelancers should have to take that sort of action just to get the fee that was already agreed on. I don't know of any other freelancing site that makes it possible for clients to abuse the process in this way. An agreed fee is an agreed fee, and that should be what the client releases.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS