cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants to pay 50% for about 95% of the work?

Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
41 of 62

Well, opening a dispute has an impact on JS score. This sets up a lose-lose proposition for the freelancer. 

Community Leader
Michael Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
42 of 62

Okay, so if I dispute this, what will the outcome be? I don't want to dispute and end up possibly losing the dispute and taking a hit to my Job success rating. But I don't want to let it go either. So regardless of the situation, I will await the reply from support.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
43 of 62

You can give clients feedback on Elance as well. I usually do it.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
44 of 62

Good thread. I don't have much to add as I haven't had experience in this area, but please keep us updated! Smiley Happy

Community Leader
45 of 62

Okay: 

So 50% has been approved and the job is listed as "succesfully" completed. The client did that. In return he expects me to approve his refund of 50%. Now the only option for me is to dispute this, having read this thread - I understand that negatively affects my JS score. Now, I'm not too worried about that but I do consider it "weird" that any client can ask for a refund and have that lower your score. Because if I give a refund, I assume it'll also lower that score.

Regardless, I'll most likely dispute it anyhow. 

Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
46 of 62

I've decided to just not worry about the JS score. There's no fathoming how it actually works, and Upwork have stated that they intend to keep it permanantly secret, and the method seems to change constantly anyway.

In your case, I would be getting my money, and no amount of impenetrable stats and badges would dissuade me.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
47 of 62

@Michael Z wrote:

Okay: 

So 50% has been approved and the job is listed as "succesfully" completed. The client did that. In return he expects me to approve his refund of 50%. Now the only option for me is to dispute this, having read this thread - I understand that negatively affects my JS score. Now, I'm not too worried about that but I do consider it "weird" that any client can ask for a refund and have that lower your score. Because if I give a refund, I assume it'll also lower that score.

Regardless, I'll most likely dispute it anyhow. 

Yeah, my one ranty awful feedback is from a dispute I won. Smiley Sad  I'm not sure why it's allowed...if there is a dispute obviously no one is happy with each other. I kinda figured it was to discourage disputes. 

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
48 of 62

Hi Michael,

if it helps, and if I understand correctly, this is not considered a "refund". The client original funded X amount of $, and released 50% of that, right? This has happened to me (in a different context, the job simply turned out to not cost as much), and there was another thread in this regards a couple of weeks ago, where a Mod also confirmed that if not all money originally funded in escrow is spent and the freelancer gives their ok for it to be returned to the client's card/bank account whatever, this is not considered bad for the freelancer (as long as the job is marked "ended successful").

If you do want to go with the 50%, these would be my concerns: Do you have evidence of the positive feedback from the client (e.g. via screenshot?) Same goes for "ended successfully" and recommendation score? If you want to go with the 50%, I would insist on this proof, as that's what you're paying for by agreeing to the deal.

Community Leader
49 of 62

The first milestone the client made was for 100% of the entire amount funded. I completed that milestone, which was to create his website. After that, he wanted content added and considered that part of of the "deal".  Unfortunately, after modifying "just" one page with content they decided they'd rather end the contract because of an unspecified reason. 

What he did to only pay me 50% was:
1. Ask for a refund of 50% of the amount in escrow
2. Approve the remaining amount in escrow

I'm not going with the 50% but to your questions:
The job was completed succesfully, he ended the contract. It shows up as succesfully completed. When a client ends a contract, they have to add feedback.
Additionally, I've not been here a long time...but I do assume it would be against the rules for me to basically "allow" a client to pay me less for better feedback. Because that's what this could be translated to if I were to do it. 

Regardless, I value my work at more than just some  feedback. 

Community Leader
50 of 62

Another update: 

So I still haven't disputed the refund yet. While I will most likely have to do so anyhow, I want to talk to the client first and see if there's something we can work out so that we both get the desired result. Which is him being content with what he received, and me being paid the appropriate amount.  Although, he's made it pretty hard seeing as he's refusing to even talk to me about it.
In either case, this is just me being nice. I've already done my part of the contract, I don't know what else he wants/wanted - but I'm assuming there is another reason he might have. If he were to state the reasoning, I "might" look into assisting him where possible.  Obviously, I'd do this within my limit. I have no obligation to help him, it would be more of a favor than anything. And I'd make sure he knows that that's a one time thing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS