🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to pay 50% of what is in escrow ...
Page options
696e5822
Community Member

Client wants to pay 50% of what is in escrow - what do I do?

Hello! I have some problems with a client and I don't know how to go about it.

I interviewed with a client for a video editing job that did not fit my skills and I told her upfront about that. She instead offered me another contract for a video that was "easier" to do. She mentioned that she did not have a big budget for it and suggested a $40 rate for it - it was agreed, offer sent and accepted.

Over the next 2 days I had put over 6 hours of work into it, with multiple changes coming from her and then she went unresponsive for a week.

I wrote her a message to see what's going on with the video and whether there is anything else I could do for her. She replied saying that in the meantime her team decided to take the video in another direction, rendering what I did, basically, useless. Again, offered to help - no reply.

Today I hit "Submit work for payment" because in my opinion, I was mid-editing when she stopped replying, the project was 90% done, just needed her final approval. She got back to me, sounding a little shocked and saying that she appreciates my work but she is only willing to pay 50%. Why should I receive 50% when at the time, I did do the work that she needed? Had she paid me right away, ended the contract and then decided the video's no longer good, she would've still paid me the $40.

Now, the thing is I don't even know how this works, would I have to refund her $20? That means I would lose my rising talent badge and perhaps in the long run affect my JSS. Could someone please advise me how to do this?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Bianca B wrote:

Today I hit "Submit work for payment" because in my opinion, I was mid-editing when she stopped replying, the project was 90% done, just needed her final approval. She got back to me, sounding a little shocked and saying that she appreciates my work but she is only willing to pay 50%. Why should I receive 50% when at the time, I did do the work that she needed?

Now, the thing is I don't even know how this works, would I have to refund her $20? That means I would lose my rising talent badge and perhaps in the long run affect my JSS.

Agree on an amount with the client and then let the client adjust the amount to pay. When the client ends the contract, they get to request the escrow funds back.

Refunds don't affect the JSS as long as you weren't paid nothing at all, the private feedback the client leaves does.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members