🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to send check to buy equipment-D...
Page options
heatherstewart37
Community Member

Client wants to send check to buy equipment-Does this violate Upwork Policy

I am in the middle of negotiating work with a Client and they want to send me a check to purchase equipment for completing the proposed project. My question is...does this violate any Upwork policy? Even though the client is listed as verified, I am a little worried if this is legit.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client wants to send check to buy equipment-Does this violate Upwork Policy"

That's the most popular scam on Upwork.

This isn't a real client. Just a scammer.

Does this violate Upwork policy?

Yes.

As an Upwork user, you are prohibited from exchanging funds outside of the Upwork platform. A check would be a VERY serious violation of Upwork ToS.

If a client wasn't a scammer and wanted you to have specialized equipment or materials, that would be fine. A real client would get your address and would send those materials to you directly. Or (as a last resort) would reimburse you through the platform. Not by check.

The scammers who are offering to send you a check are planning to send you a fake check which they would use to steal about $3000 from your checking account.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client wants to send check to buy equipment-Does this violate Upwork Policy"

That's the most popular scam on Upwork.

This isn't a real client. Just a scammer.

Does this violate Upwork policy?

Yes.

As an Upwork user, you are prohibited from exchanging funds outside of the Upwork platform. A check would be a VERY serious violation of Upwork ToS.

If a client wasn't a scammer and wanted you to have specialized equipment or materials, that would be fine. A real client would get your address and would send those materials to you directly. Or (as a last resort) would reimburse you through the platform. Not by check.

The scammers who are offering to send you a check are planning to send you a fake check which they would use to steal about $3000 from your checking account.

Thank you! I did tell the Client I thought any payments outside of the Upwork system was against terms, and he tried to convince me otherwise. I ended up retracting my proposal and flagging the job.
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jan 31
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths