🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to send check to buy equipment-D...
Page options
heatherstewart37
Community Member

Client wants to send check to buy equipment-Does this violate Upwork Policy

I am in the middle of negotiating work with a Client and they want to send me a check to purchase equipment for completing the proposed project. My question is...does this violate any Upwork policy? Even though the client is listed as verified, I am a little worried if this is legit.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client wants to send check to buy equipment-Does this violate Upwork Policy"

That's the most popular scam on Upwork.

This isn't a real client. Just a scammer.

Does this violate Upwork policy?

Yes.

As an Upwork user, you are prohibited from exchanging funds outside of the Upwork platform. A check would be a VERY serious violation of Upwork ToS.

If a client wasn't a scammer and wanted you to have specialized equipment or materials, that would be fine. A real client would get your address and would send those materials to you directly. Or (as a last resort) would reimburse you through the platform. Not by check.

The scammers who are offering to send you a check are planning to send you a fake check which they would use to steal about $3000 from your checking account.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client wants to send check to buy equipment-Does this violate Upwork Policy"

That's the most popular scam on Upwork.

This isn't a real client. Just a scammer.

Does this violate Upwork policy?

Yes.

As an Upwork user, you are prohibited from exchanging funds outside of the Upwork platform. A check would be a VERY serious violation of Upwork ToS.

If a client wasn't a scammer and wanted you to have specialized equipment or materials, that would be fine. A real client would get your address and would send those materials to you directly. Or (as a last resort) would reimburse you through the platform. Not by check.

The scammers who are offering to send you a check are planning to send you a fake check which they would use to steal about $3000 from your checking account.

Thank you! I did tell the Client I thought any payments outside of the Upwork system was against terms, and he tried to convince me otherwise. I ended up retracting my proposal and flagging the job.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths