🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client wants to setup my software, do I charg...
Page options
mandella22
Community Member

Client wants to setup my software, do I charge for this?

Hi,

My client wants to take 30 mins and ensure I have all the software set up and I am in his systems. Is this something that I can charge for? I won't really be doing any work so that is why I ask. Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
robin_hyman
Community Member

30 minutes is 30 minutes of your time that could have been spent working on another client's work and getting PAID.  

Yes I would charge him. 

hoyle_editing
Community Member

Yes, I would say if the client is requesting something and you need to be present/free from other activities during that time then it is ceratinly chargable.

As always though, a little judgment is probably wise - depending on job size and regular client or not? 

I agree with the advice from the other posters, that point out that if a client is utilizing YOUR TIME, then it is VALID and EXPECTED for you to bill for that time.

HOWEVER:

It is not REQUIRED that you charge for every minute of time spent with the client.

For example:

If a client was training me how to work on their very particular system, which is just for their business, then I would certainly bill for that time.

But if a client was literally GIVING me a useful software package... such as Adobe Photoshop, and GIVING me a year-long license which he pays for, and providing me with instructions for installing that on my own computer... Then I would consider NOT billing for that time. I would not feel bad about NOT billing for such time.

researchediting
Community Member

Is there a reason why no one else is screamng: WHAT!? YOU IN MY SYSTEM? ME IN YOUR SYSTEM? LET ME OUT OF HERE!

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Is there a reason why no one else is screamng: WHAT!? YOU IN MY SYSTEM? ME IN YOUR SYSTEM? LET ME OUT OF HERE!

I haven't enough breath to scream. 

Amanda,

Do NOT do this until you know more. This is your first job and I think you should be extremely cautious. 

Could you tell us if the client has actually offered you a specific job and could you tell us (without names or quoting) what the job is. Has the client actually hired you officially through Upwork? 

Thanks for the feedback guys! All is good, no worries. To answer the questions, yes I have been hired and it's a legit position. I was only asking because I just have a weird complex of being too nice and was unsure of proper etiquette. He actually told me to be sure I log the hours for said training. Thank you all so much

Amanda B wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys! All is good, no worries. To answer the questions, yes I have been hired and it's a legit position. I was only asking because I just have a weird complex of being too nice and was unsure of proper etiquette. He actually told me to be sure I log the hours for said training. Thank you all so much

Pheww - in that case well done and I hope the job goes well and all the ones in the future. 

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I was scrolling down hoping someone would /facepalm at what's about to happen to OP. Now I don't have to!

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I have this bad habit of momentarily abandoning available data to assume that the person in question has already addressed that piece if they've reached the point of asking a question like this one.

tlsanders
Community Member

You can, definitely.

Whether or not it's good business depends on the circumstances. If it's a short-term or one-off project, then you definitely should. I personally wouldn't charge for that 30 minutes if it was set-up for a 50-hour project or a one-time set-up for an ongoing relationship.That's not to say you can't, or even shouldn't, but if the investment is very small in comparison to the job, I typically don't charge for it.

I don't know anything about the original poster's actual project or the client who hired her. I don't know anything about what "systems" they are talking about.

But I can point this out:

A client who hires a freelancer and makes it clear to her that she SHOULD log all time for training and discussion... is a client who is doing the right thing.

This is how a professional, serious client acts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members