🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client went silent after second milestone
Page options
af792128
Community Member

Client went silent after second milestone

Hey there folks,

I have a fixed price contract that divided into 3 milestones.

First milestone approved by the client.

He went silent while the second milestone is active and I finished it - so I submitted the milestone, and probably will get the amount released in14 days.

My question is, I have also finished the third milestone while he was there and talking, is there any way to get the amount for the third milestone? (milestone is not active/funded)

Thanks in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kinector
Community Member

Kanan, as Petra said, there is no mechanism in place that would bring you money on a fixed price contract without a milestone being funded before the work starts. (Well, technically bonus could be paid anytime, but clients who vanish in thin air do not usually pay bonuses.)

You seem to be doing relatively small projects, so I don't think you lost very much time. I hope this is not a showstopper as you've done excellent work and built yourself a credible profile. Don't let this stop you, just keep going!

Maybe it helps if you think it like this: You lost some hours of doing unpaid work, but you gained a valuable lesson of not working on unpaid milestones.

Perhaps that learning is worth more than those missing hours?

Focus on the next project. Happy Upworking. 👍👍

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Kanan I wrote:

My question is, I have also finished the third milestone while he was there and talking, is there any way to get the amount for the third milestone? (milestone is not active/funded)

Not unless the client comes back and activates/funds the third milestone, no.

kinector
Community Member

Kanan, as Petra said, there is no mechanism in place that would bring you money on a fixed price contract without a milestone being funded before the work starts. (Well, technically bonus could be paid anytime, but clients who vanish in thin air do not usually pay bonuses.)

You seem to be doing relatively small projects, so I don't think you lost very much time. I hope this is not a showstopper as you've done excellent work and built yourself a credible profile. Don't let this stop you, just keep going!

Maybe it helps if you think it like this: You lost some hours of doing unpaid work, but you gained a valuable lesson of not working on unpaid milestones.

Perhaps that learning is worth more than those missing hours?

Focus on the next project. Happy Upworking. 👍👍

Dear Mikko,

Thanks for your kind words and great explanation. I do agree, this is a kind of lesson worth more than money. Will keep that in mind from now on! 

Have a nice day!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members