cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client who doesn't leave feedback

Isabelle B Member Since: Sep 13, 2017
1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I have had 4 successul contracts on Upwork since I became a member last summer. All those contracts were ended when the job was done. But the two contracts that were ended by me did not receive any feedback from client. I know that the client has 14 days to leave feedback as I read, but those contracts were ended more than 2 weeks ago, and still nothing. I, of course, did leave feedback as soon as ended or feedback received from my other 2 contracts. I always leave feedback even if it would have been a negative one. I understand  that the client wouldn't leave feedback? 

Is it common? Does it put a negative feeling to my profile? 

Thanks!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

@Isabelle B wrote:

1)  But the two contracts that were ended by me did not receive any feedback from client. I know that the client has 14 days to leave feedback as I read, but those contracts were ended more than 2 weeks ago, and still nothing.

2) Does it put a negative feeling to my profile? 

Thanks!

1) Do NOT rush to end contracts. Always, ALWAYS encourage your clients to do so, as this will guarantee that you get feedback. (If the client closes the contract they HAVE to leave feedback, they have no choice in the matter. If you end the contract the client only has 14 days to leave feedbak, afterwards it is too late... Only ever close a contract if the client has comppletely vanished and can not be persuaded to end the contract (No need tto mention feedback, ever, just get them to end the contract.)

2) Yes, it probably will when you get a Job Success Score as a significant percentage of contracts that end without feedback can count against your JSS. Your "No feedback left" percentage is 50% which is very high... I keep mine under 10% so it won't hit my JSS.

Gabriella A Member Since: Sep 5, 2019
3 of 6

I don't know if that's true. After making sure a client was happy with the work I did (they even followed up with photos), I asked for the contract to be closed. It closed and my profile says "no feedback given".

It's incredibly frustrating that scores weights so heavily on feedback when half of these clients don't know how to use Upwork properly or don't know/care that our scores depend on it. My job sucess score went from 100% to 90%. It's callled job success score and feedback does not reflect people's ablilty to do jobs successfuly. 

The percentage should really get relooked at.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 6

If the client closed the contract then they would have left a star rating but not necessarily a written review. A client doesn't need to know how to use UW properly when scoring. Yes, they need to know to close the contract but once there I am sure they are capable of managing the rating system as presented. Not everyone may like or agree with what they indicated, but that's the way ratings work here and elsewhere. 

Feedback certainly is a strong indicator of what the client thinks of the job's success. UW really doesn't have a lot of choice here as they are not going to conduct a phone interview with each party after a contract ends and then provide a score they think is fair (which many would disagree with anyway). 

Jasna S Member Since: Aug 5, 2015
5 of 6

The question here isn't whether anyone agrees with the feedback that is given; the question is why freelancers are being punished for clients not leaving any feedback at all, when the system allows for contracts to remain open, or be closed without client leaving ANY feedback, good or otherwise.  Upwork is making freelancers do its work. After charging a percentage of our earnings on top of it. It's a poorly designed system.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

Jasna S wrote:

The question here isn't whether anyone agrees with the feedback that is given; the question is why freelancers are being punished for clients not leaving any feedback at all,

They are not. Contracts where money was earned do not hurt the JSS whether they are open or closed without feedback, unless the freelancer has an insanely high number od such contracts.

Jasna S wrote:

. It's a poorly designed system.

It's not perfect, but it does not do what you are unhappy about it doing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS