🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client who recommend percentage isn't changin...
Page options
mapes_patty
Community Member

Client who recommend percentage isn't changing.

Client gave 5 star review but Percentage of clients who recommend is unchanged. This client has already asked me to do another project so I can't imagine that there was private negative feedback, or that they said they would recommend me. Either way, my clients who recommend has not changed in 4 days since this project closed and the feedback became available.

My client is happy, wants me to do another job and I want Upwork to work for me, but I'm at a loss how to get my stats up.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patricia M wrote:

Thank you for responding to my query. I had read somewhere that the percentage would update within 24 hours of feedback so I was expecting that.  Apparently that was either incorrect or has changed so I will watch for a change but not stress over it.

Your point about choosing the right clients and doing good work is of course good advice.  My concern is getting new clients through Upwork with low numbers. 

Regards,

Patty

The JSS updates w/in 24 hours after feedback, usually. The 'clients who would recommend' % is a separate metric that udpates on a different schedule. Also worth noting is it is cumulative over your entire UW history, whereas the JSS only looks at contracts closed in the past 24 months (and takes the best of the 24-, 12-, and 6-month windows).

For those of us whose professional tool boxes include analyzing data sets (and, therefore, scrutinizing them and cleaning them up and generally keeping things tidy), it's counter-intuitive to be cavalier about our job history/client feedback data. But I find it's best to treat it like the weather: it's somewhat predictable and I can learn to shelter myself from the worst potential effects by managing certain variables that contribute to it (vetting & choosing clients and projects, managing same). But I can't ultimately control it. As Petra noted, as long as we focus on finding the best clients we can and doing our best work, the stats take care of themselves. 

That said, one of your remarks hit another important nail on the head. Freelancing is different from working in a corporate environment. There is a suite of wrap-around skills you have to master in order to achieve long-term success. I encourage you to read as much as you can about freelancing; browse discussions here, esp ones about managing tricky clients (and tricky FLs, for a view from the other end of the chat room); find a mentor, if you can, someone who has worked successfully as an independent contractor, preferably in your field or one closely related.

A JSS below 80% is not impossible to come back from. You still have relatively few closed contracts, so each new one still weighs a lot. For the next dozen contracts, be more choosy than you ever will be again, about both clients and projects. Only take on ones you know you can knock out of the park, and over-deliver every time. Freelancing is a long game. In exchange for flexibility and autonomy, we work harder and, usually, smarter than any of us ever did when working for somebody else.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
tlsanders
Community Member

It doesn't change immediately, and we don't know exactly what schedule it does change on--it does not seem to be tied to the JSS update. It's generally best just to go on focusing on your client relationships and not try to monitor stats too closely.

Tiffany S wrote:

It doesn't change immediately, and we don't know exactly what schedule it does change on--it does not seem to be tied to the JSS update. 

I'll add that this is probably deliberate. If the client recommend percentage changed immediately after a job was completed, then a freelancer would have a pretty good idea which client gave her private feedback, either good or bad, and that would largely negate the purpose of private feedback.

Sadly, you may be right.  I was really looking forward to improved stats but I guess I will focus elsewhere! Thank you.

I see what you are saying, although I'm a data person so it is hard not to monitor stats. Also, I did not pick or manage my clients as I should have (differently than corporate roles) and I have gotten into a pickle which I would like to work out of. Thank you for your input.

petra_r
Community Member

Patricia M wrote:

Client gave 5 star review but Percentage of clients who recommend is unchanged.

That metric does not update after every job.

Don't worry about your stats, worry about choosing your clients very carefully, doing an amazing job for those carefully chosen clients and earning money, then your stats will take care of themselves.

dzadza
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Patricia M wrote:

Don't worry about your stats, worry about choosing your clients very carefully, doing an amazing job for those carefully chosen clients and earning money, then your stats will take care of themselves.

or, in my case, it doesn't update after any job - it stayed the same from the moment I first saw it on my profile.

of course,  support told me that there's nothing wrong with that...everything works exactly as it should...

tlsanders
Community Member

Sanja D wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Patricia M wrote:

or, in my case, it doesn't update after any job - it stayed the same from the moment I first saw it on my profile.

of course,  support told me that there's nothing wrong with that...everything works exactly as it should...

Mine does change, but it generally stays the same for months at a time.

Thank you for responding to my query. I had read somewhere that the percentage would update within 24 hours of feedback so I was expecting that.  Apparently that was either incorrect or has changed so I will watch for a change but not stress over it.

Your point about choosing the right clients and doing good work is of course good advice.  My concern is getting new clients through Upwork with low numbers. 

Regards,

Patty

Patricia M wrote:

Regards,

Patty

The JSS updates w/in 24 hours after feedback, usually. The 'clients who would recommend' % is a separate metric that udpates on a different schedule. Also worth noting is it is cumulative over your entire UW history, whereas the JSS only looks at contracts closed in the past 24 months (and takes the best of the 24-, 12-, and 6-month windows).

For those of us whose professional tool boxes include analyzing data sets (and, therefore, scrutinizing them and cleaning them up and generally keeping things tidy), it's counter-intuitive to be cavalier about our job history/client feedback data. But I find it's best to treat it like the weather: it's somewhat predictable and I can learn to shelter myself from the worst potential effects by managing certain variables that contribute to it (vetting & choosing clients and projects, managing same). But I can't ultimately control it. As Petra noted, as long as we focus on finding the best clients we can and doing our best work, the stats take care of themselves. 

That said, one of your remarks hit another important nail on the head. Freelancing is different from working in a corporate environment. There is a suite of wrap-around skills you have to master in order to achieve long-term success. I encourage you to read as much as you can about freelancing; browse discussions here, esp ones about managing tricky clients (and tricky FLs, for a view from the other end of the chat room); find a mentor, if you can, someone who has worked successfully as an independent contractor, preferably in your field or one closely related.

A JSS below 80% is not impossible to come back from. You still have relatively few closed contracts, so each new one still weighs a lot. For the next dozen contracts, be more choosy than you ever will be again, about both clients and projects. Only take on ones you know you can knock out of the park, and over-deliver every time. Freelancing is a long game. In exchange for flexibility and autonomy, we work harder and, usually, smarter than any of us ever did when working for somebody else.

+10 to Phyllis's comments.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  Many responses have been helpful and echoed some of same points, but you were very comprehensive, and I feel like understand the disonance of the ambiguity for someone who actually does need to work very precisely! Double-edged sword in some cases, as you know.  I have taken your advise to heart and I will carry on!

Best Regards,

Patty

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths