Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client with Unverified Payment Method

amyyana
Ameeliana Najiha M Member Since: Aug 13, 2016
1 of 5

Greetings,

Hi, Upwork communities. A client with unverified payment method offers me a job on upwork. 

1. He tells me to download a software and start doing the work using the downloaded tool 
2. He even tells me to email him back when the job is done.
3. He tells me to email him how I prefer my payment to be done ; is it via PayPal/ MoneyBookers/ Upwork.com/ Freelancer.com/ Payza/ Payoneer MasterCard/ perfectmoney/ webmoney/ western union.

Because this is the first job offer I receive on Upwork, I really would like to give it a go.
But, frankly I still wonder whether or not this client is a scammer?  

P/s : I wonder how this individual put ''Upwork.com" as an option too, if he's payment method isn't verified? Do enlighten me on this. Thank you. 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Report him now.  More than likely it is a Capcha job.  Not only that he is offering to pay off the platform which is a big no no.  Report him to CS now with all the screen shots of your conversation. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

amyyana
3 of 5

Katrina B, 

After taking the screenshot, how do I report to the CS? 

ezmash
Ace Contributor
Sharon H Member Since: Jul 15, 2016
4 of 5

Agreed.  You should definitely NOT do ANY work for him until he has officially hired you, and he can't do that until he verifies his payment method.  Offering to pay outside of Upwork is a violation of ToS - he can/will be banned for this, and if you agree to his arrangement, you could be as well.

Aside from that, aren't you curious why he's invited you to complete a job if you've never done any jobs on upwork before?  Only people who have done a lot of work and have great reviews get invited to jobs by legitimate clients.  This person is not.  He's trying to take advantage of your inexperience.

Report him and avoid him.

Is there a 'flag as inappropriate' option in the top right corner?

amyyana
5 of 5

Sharon H.

Okay. Thank you for responding to this, Sharon.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS