cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client with a verified payment status who doesn't know about Upwork's Time Tracker

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Robyn H Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
11 of 16

"Each user of the platform has to take responsibility--nor not--for learning how it works and using it responsibly and professionally. "

I agree, thus I shouldn't have to educate a client on how this system works, especaily one with a hiring history.  Nor one where the first responce on this thread to my concern was that client must be a scammer.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
12 of 16

Robyn,

"I agree, thus I shouldn't have to educate a client on how this system works, especaily one with a hiring history. Nor one where the first responce on this thread to my concern was that client must be a scammer."

Freelancing is a DIY business; it's your business. For not more than 20% of revenue UW gives you a business website (your profile), it brings leads to you, it handles invoicing and payment. That is very inexpensive, because it costs me far more to conduct business on my own than through UW. Of course, I charge more off these sites and get better clients, and you are free to do the same.

I see nothing indicating this is a scam, nor any indication that the person was trying to violate ToS. The last person to whom your prospective client spoke might have only had questions the client was attempting to head off with you, suspecting you might not know much about freelancing yourself. That's my suspicion, also,

I hire thru UW and another platform. I have never seen a screen shot and refuse to use anybody's time tracker. I tell hourly freelancers to use time tracker if they wish, or to use the work diary. Those with whom I contract directly are told to send me invoices and I pay them without question.

You are

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
13 of 16

Damned keyboard.

You are displaying a sense of entitlement that, were you an employee, would cost you your job. Don't respond to any of my job posts, you're wasting your "paid-for" connects. The sense of entitlement is disqualifying.

If you're going to freelance, it's OK to be arrogant. It's not OK to be arrogant on a job brokering board. I'm insufferably arrogant, as others will confirm. I just charge small businesses what I need, not what I can command in the marketplace. When I get responses on UW, I look through the community for the freelancer's posts. I'm not the only one. You should probably ask moderators to take this thread down, tell them you were in the throes of substance abuse or had traumatic brain injury when you posted it. This will cost you jobs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
14 of 16

Robyn H wrote:

I'm sorry but why would I communicate with the client about how YOUR platform works?  I've already paid connects to communicate with them, so it would seem you need to do some work here educating clients. 

Yep.. this is part of working on Upwork. I work with a lot of new clients and they have no idea how Upwork works. Many people don't want to spend the time to learn so I have to walk clients through "how to do things" all the time. I am not thrilled about that but it's part of the process and just being helpful in general. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie J Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
15 of 16

As an admin you may want to know that the word you are looking for is response, not responce.

There are many times when we need to be helpful to our clients, they have work they need done that's their priority, they might not know how everything works here and that's fine. 

But yes please look out for scammers, there seems to be a lot of them lately.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Robyn H Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
16 of 16

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to post a response on this thread.  I have certainly learned a lot today.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS