cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client with history but payment not verified?

Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
1 of 8

I wanted to apply for a job, but although the client has had many jobs filled and completed and one open project (registered since 2008), their payment is not verified... I don't understand...

Also, they seem to have never left feedback for any of their freelancers.

Is this a bug?

I need to know, so I can decide it it's convenient for me to apply for the job, since it fits my expertise perfectly. 

Any ideas?

Unverified payment

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 8

I've often wondered the same thing. I would apply if you have enought connects that 2 less won't matter and if given an interview ask the clent how they fund the project. Waiting for support or a moderator on a Sunday is not a good idea and the job could go at any time

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
3 of 8

Sometimes the client's credit card expires between jobs (it happened with a couple of clients of mine) or they removed their credit card after the work they wanted was completed.

If you have the connects and the job looks good, I would apply. It's almost the end of the month and I think the connects are renewed at the beginning of each month (but I'm not sure).

Ace Contributor
Kamal S Member Since: Mar 24, 2015
4 of 8

Yeap I have seen similar contractor profiles in the last week too and found them very weird.

Someone from Odesk team can confirm the cause but my reasonable guess:

1) Its either a bug at odesk end or
2) The payment method on file for that client  is no longer valid ( maybe the last payment didn't went through) 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8

Natalia... you're looking at a client who has spent over $3000 on oDesk, is from the United Kingdom, and pays an average of $16.00+ per hour?

I would have absolutely no hesitancy in applying to this client's job. Sounds like a great client.

I doubt that what is displayed regarding their payment not being verified is going to be a problem.

Speaking personally, I HAVE refrained from working with clients whose payment method is not verified... until they get their payment method verified. But I ONLY do that with new clients.

I don't even look at the payment verifiction status of experienced clients such as the one you're pointing out.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 8

Hi All,

I have checked this for you and it doesn't look like we have any bugs affecting clients' verification status. There can be a couple of reasons why a payment method of an experienced client is not verified.

Firstly, as Preston and David pointed out, their credit card could have expired and they haven't yet added a new one.

Secondly, users can add multiple client-companies to their account and it's possible they have a verified payment method on one of them but no verified payment method on the other. The statistic about hiring rate and money spent applies to the overall client's account though.

You can still apply for the job, but make sure the client verifies their payment method before you start working.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
7 of 8

Thanks Valeria!

Natalia

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
8 of 8

It is true that the probability of getting shafted by such a client is very low, but that is why there is insurance. If you don't mind the risk of anything happening, then by all means go ahead. But remember there is no insurance involved, so no oDesk guarantee.

But on this one it is a sound risk-reward ratio I think.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS