Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client with unverified payment method

cmonyango
Ace Contributor
Christine O Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
1 of 5

Greetings,

I had a client yesterday whose payment method I later realised was unverified and unforunately this happened after I had submitted completed work to him. He says the payment will take up to three days but I ask him to please pay through up work. I also realise that he is a new client in up work, so there was nothing for me to review on feedback from others, but initially, he wanted to communicate solely via gmail. I insisted on using up work, which he wasnt so amused about but later gave in. I also realise that I worked without a contract. When I asked him to send one, he said it is okay, since I already got the job and just need to get started. I just have a bad feeling about this client, If anything happens like for instance he doesnt own up to pay, what should I do?

Christine.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Hi Christine,

Please, always make sure you have an active contract under My Jobs before you do any work for a client. Otherwise, the client can't pay you and your payment can't be protected. It's also a serious violation of Upwork policies to offer payment outside of Upwork and we'll reach out to the client about that separately.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

dianoska
Diana E Member Since: Jul 6, 2017
3 of 5

Hello, I have the same exact ptoblem with a client and we didn't have a contract (I'm new), how can I contact Upwork so they can help me reach the client? Neither can I write in the community forum nor I can find an email, also the Help Center doesn't have a solution or options for this situations, please help me. Thanks

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

@Diana E wrote:

Hello, I have the same exact ptoblem with a client and we didn't have a contract (I'm new), how can I contact Upwork so they can help me reach the client?

If you didn't have a contract there is nothing Upwork can do.

Essentially you worked for free.

NEVER work without being hired properly on the platform and NEVER work without a contract under your "My Jobs" page.

Flag the job posting as fraudulent and move on.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 5

Hi Diana, 

Petra is correct, and I would follow her advice. Please also check the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS