Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client with zero-star review - or not?

6a6db855
Ace Contributor
Rachael C Member Since: Mar 7, 2017
1 of 10

I had an invitation from a potential client. The sidebar on the invitation page said this client's rating was "0.0 stars (1 review)", but wouldn't let me see the review. I opened a support ticket asking how I could get to see the review (I wanted to judge whether I thought it was a fair negative review or whether the client had just been unlucky).

Meanwhile, I replied to the client with a mostly positive-sounding proposal but asking if he could message me to discuss the zero-star review.

Then an Upwork support person replied claiming that actually the client was new and hadn't had any feedback at all yet.

So either the Upwork interface is incorrectly displaying that someone has received one review with the worst possible rating, when actually they haven't received any reviews yet - which is defaming that client quite badly, and misleading any freelancers who want to deal with them - or the support person was wrong and the client really does have a zero-star review. Neither option reflects well on Upwork.

jutta_beinker
Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
2 of 10

I don't think you can actually give a 0.0 star review..?

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 10

Hi Rachael,

Thanks for bringing this case to our attention. I checked and while I can't share any specific information about the client's history or account, the feedback count you mentioned is incorrect and I'll follow up with our team to investigate and resolve the root cause.

Untitled
6a6db855
Ace Contributor
4 of 10

Vladimir, thanks for looking into this.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 10

Client Review.png

To view a client's review, you need to locate the previous job to which the review is connected. Then, view the profile of the freelancer who gave the review, find the specific job with that client in the freelancer's work history, and view on the details. 

6a6db855
Ace Contributor
6 of 10

Thanks for your help, Tonya!

So we can't see the client's previous reviews on an Invitation, but only on the associated job post, even though the right-hand sidebar (with the star rating and the number of reviews) looks the same in both views? Seems a very odd design decision on Upwork's part.

Unfortunately the job in question seems to have been withdrawn (I suspect the client was offended because I asked to discuss his "zero-star review"), so I can't view the review for that client; but at least I'll know how to see reviews for clients in future.

shefen
Ace Contributor
Sheila F Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
7 of 10

I know this thread is two years old but I'm seeing the same thing.

I got an offer yesterday, April 23rd.

About the client shows this:

0.00 of 18 reviews

$0 total spent

28 hires 

member since April 24th

None of this makes sense. 28 hires but 0 stars and no $0, also member since *today* yet I got the offer *yesterday*?

How does this help me evaluate the offer?

amt17
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
8 of 10

Perhaps it's connected to the bug affecting stats pages and profiles.

shefen
Ace Contributor
Sheila F Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
9 of 10

My stats page is still messed up but the client info looks better now.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 10

Hi Sheila, 

Good to know that the issue with the client's info is resolved already. Can you please confirm if the issue with the My Stats page still persists? 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS