Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client won't pay after work is done

truedon
Tom W Member Since: Sep 14, 2015
1 of 35

Hi guys, 

I am new to working here and just signed up. My first client messed me around, but I have been able to report him to the support here. Now my second client got me to setup his server, install wordpress and get his VPN made. Now he is not coming online or replying to messages any further.

What can I do about this?

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
2 of 35

If this was an hourly job and you used the time tracker, unless he disputes the hours, he will be charged and you will get paid.

If you used manual time, there is no guarantee.

If this was a fixed price contract and and the money was put into escrow, if you used the "submit work" button and he does not dispute, you will get paid.

If this was an fixed price contract and the money was NOT put in escrow, you are screwed.

truedon
3 of 35

I couldn't use the tracker as both clients refused to answer my questions about accepting the contract and just wanted to talk on skype. Foolishly I have done the work thinking they would pay me the common respect but obviously not. 

Can I report them?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 35

Tom, reporting them will bring no benefit to you. You could be suspended for policy violations, specifically for working without a contract or getting paid outside Upwork. You did not do that, but what you did could be easily interpreted that way 

The money is gone.

It is important to understand that there are proper procedures and also effective strategies and techniques that contractors use to avoid the negative outcomes you experienced.

You need to learn these things before your next job.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 35

@Preston H wrote:

Tom, reporting them will bring no benefit to you. You could be suspended for policy violations, specifically for working without a contract or getting paid outside Upwork. You did not do that, but what you did could be easily interpreted that way 

The money is gone.

Preston, with all the due respect there is, clearly this client has taken advantage of this new freelancer and it is most likely that this is a predator who does it all the time.

So OF COURSE the client needs reporting to Support and I would say with 99.9% certainty that Tom is not going to get his account suspended for being new and naive. And whilst we're at it, strictly speaking NOT reporting the client is as much of a policy violation as being dumb and doing free work.

Please don't keep telling people not to report fraudulent clients. That just means the client gets away with it and preys on the next innocent newbie for some more.

Yes, you are right, the money is gone.

Tom, without having hired you the client CAN NOT pay you. Not on the site, anyway, and I hope sincerely you haven't agreed to be paid off the site because that would actually indeed create an issue for you. Does the client even have a verified payment method?

And I agree with Preston that you need to STOP, read up on how things work around here, how you should and should not go about things, what the rules are, and how to protect yourself. Ask questions in the forum, read the pinned threads, read the help files etc etc...

It never seizes to amaze me that people swan in, don't look at a thing, agree to all the terms and conditions, spend significant time (freelancers) or money (clients) without a hint of a clue, then have a rude awakening when it all goes to hell in a handbasket.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 35

re: "clearly this client has taken advantage of this new freelancer and it is most likely that this is a predator who does it all the time."

Yes, I agree 100%.

Petra, thank you for you note.

I know you want to help Tom and contractors generally.

I don't think I routinely tell people to not report fraudulent clients. I think fraudulent clients are terrible.

I think Tom acted naively, and didn't do anything wrong, and I certainly hope if he reports this that no ill effect will come from doing so. I hope you are right. But I can't guarantee it. What if he accidentally triggers a dispute? That would be bad for him, and potentially financially costly, as well as burdensome to his job success score.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 35

Preston H wrote: What if he accidentally triggers a dispute? That would be bad for him, and potentially financially costly, as well as burdensome to his job success score.

What are you talking about???

THERE IS NO CONTRACT. HE WAS NOT PAID

No contract - no dispute.

What the hell would the dispute be over?

He is as likely to "accidentally trigger a Tsunami" as he is to "accidentally trigger a dispute!"

prestonhunter
Community Guru
8 of 35

Petra, you are correct that Upwork won't allow a dispute to be created if there's no contract.

At the time it wrote that, it wasn't clear to me that the original poster had never actually started an Upwork contract with any of the clients he was complaining about. This became clear soon thereafter.

I think you may well have perceived the nature of what had happened earlier, despite the imprecise and incomplete description of events.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 35

@Tom W wrote:

I couldn't use the tracker as both clients refused to answer my questions about accepting the contract and just wanted to talk on skype. Foolishly I have done the work thinking they would pay me the common respect but obviously not. 

There ya go.

truedon
10 of 35

Listen we are not ruled like savages yeh, we work under the law of the land. No country allows fraud or extortion so to not report it is just crazy. These man have tricked me and probably will do countless others. 

I'm not new to working online, just new to this upwork website. I have worked online for 15 years and gave benefit of the doubt to these gentlemen because they seemed polite and like they was serious about the job.

No where did it warn me not to accept the work without them starting the contract, I had no idea how to get that done. 

It seems really difficult to use this site because there is loads of nonsense going on, no way to report it and nothing happen once its reported. 

I done the work, I should get paid. If this was an actual physical work agency then I would of been covered, but because it is virtual we degenerate into a lawless wild west where extortion can take place.

Those who are complacent in it and call themself a good christian / muslim / jew / buddhist / 'athiest' or whatever are just seriously miss-guided this is a joke of a system and I bet you extortion like this takes common place and that is why there is so many spam like users who just hit up every job with pre-written cover letters and why there are websites dedicated to just that.

In my experience of being a hirer all you get is **Edited for Community Guidelines** (no offense to any one from **Edited for Community Guidelines**, it is just my real life experience) who **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Later in this mad system you're saying the freelancer can get reported by the client because they mess him around? Stupid system that is **Edited for Community Guidelines** by design - the freelancer has no right to dispute.

All in all I think this website needs to be investigated in general into its work ethics and how it operates and I will be taking the correct steps to contact the governing bodies, because I know how gateways work and there are strict rules what has happened here is a joke and the support offered also does not help at all. 

I cannot even report it? What a mockery.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS