Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client won't pay after work is done

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
11 of 35

"No where did it warn me not to accept the work without them starting the contract, I had no idea how to get that done. "

Surely this is common sense? If you work as a freelancer in the off-site world and  you are invited to make a quote on a project, after which the client wants to discuss it at length, you still would not start work before they have signed a contract. I wouldn't. 

I understand you are upset Tom, as I've had work stolen from me as well (not here, but on another similar website), but lunging at Petra is really bad form. She may be harsh, but she is only telling it to you like it is. 

And like has been said - of course you can report it. You SHOULD report it. But support can hardly do anything for you since there is no contract for them to dispute. 

marla-urias
Marla U Member Since: Dec 23, 2015
12 of 35

I fell for the same exact thing. His name is **edited for Community Guidelines**. He gets you to talk on Skype, makes you believe you will get paid, asks you to make phone calls, and then does not pay. Don't fall for his scam. I have to do my part to help others not make my same mistake. Sure, I should have known better. I trust people too much. Lesson learned. The difficult part is that I did report it, but it seems like they do nothing to help you out. There should be a way to write a review about your experience with each employer so their actions are transparent and therefore would not be in their interest to treat people like this. I couldn't find a way to do this. Most of the "employers" I have come across here on Upwork are scams. It seems the scammers are more protected on here than the freelancers. There needs to be a better review system and more transparency to avoid this from happening to freelancers. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
13 of 35

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. For future reference, don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab.  You can find more details here.

Please report this client so we can take a look and address the case.

Please keep in mind our Community Guidelines when posting here.

Untitled
truedon
Tom W Member Since: Sep 14, 2015
14 of 35

I was told this rules ( check attached screenshot ) This rhetoric from Upwork.com states I will get mediation help if the client refuses to pay. I have not had that. That is why I am reporting this website to the standards of work and labour in California when their office opens because you are now in breach of the law. No one has offered mediation support and now 24 hours have passed with no response from your customer support. 

So I was told as pack of lies and nonsense yet again, good old capitalism. No matter how many times I read your guides, it doesn't excuse the fact that you are slack do not help and most obviously incompetent at dealing with scamsters that abuse your service.

Did you really think you have dealed with the matter? Provided help? I am completely unsatisifed and owed money. I will get my money because I did work and god is watching. Justice will prevail over all headens.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 35

@Tom W wrote:

1) I was told this rules ( check attached screenshot ) This rhetoric from Upwork.com states I will get mediation help if the client refuses to pay.

2) I have not had that.

3) That is why I am reporting this website to the standards of work and labour in California when their office opens

4) because you are now in breach of the law.

5) No one has offered mediation support and now 24 hours have passed with no response from your customer support. 

6) So I was told as pack of lies and nonsense yet again,

7) I am completely unsatisifed and owed money. I will get my money because I did work and god is watching.

8) Justice will prevail over all headens.

1) IF you have a contract. If you have no contract there is nothing to mediate.

2) Because you have no contract.

3) Good luck with that.

4) Nope. Wrong.

5) All they can do is investigate the client. They can contact the client and ask them to contact, hire, and pay you. They can not FORCE the client to do so because there IS NO CONTRACT. You decided to deal with the client without following procedure. You now see that this was not a good idea, and are blaming Upwork for your "client's" dishonesty and your own inability to inform yourself how the system works before jumping in head first. Take some responsibilty for your own actions and decisions. If you jump off a bridge and break your legs you won't sue the bridge owner for failing to stop you. Same thing!

6) No, you failed to inform yourself and you failed to read the terms of service and now you are trying to find someone to blame. Blame the so called client!

7) Hint: You are owed money by the client, not by Upwork.

8) OK then. Good luck with that, too.

truedon
16 of 35

truedon
17 of 35

Sorry there is some problem in attaching the screenshot previously it is in the post above this. As you can see rule 3 states I will get support. That has not happened and I have been fobbed of with nonsense that is hypocritical to what you told me so you have fradulently lead me to believe the service would be protected and helpful when in reality you do not look after your workers. 

truedon
18 of 35

I done the work. The client has the VPN setup. Upwork.com is not going to help me, regardless of contract or not they should atleast shut off this users account and do the right thing.

Your decision to resort to using huge letters to keep reiterating about a contract goes to show how weak a grasp you have on this situation. 

So you think it is right that I got stitched up and it is ok for someone to trick me out of work? Just because a contract which I requested several times did not get created.

I am new here, I followed the guides and help.

I have posted the screenshot of what I was told. I have been lied to and tricked. Now the public can make up their own mind of it as this is already published online.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 35

@Tom W wrote:

1) I done the work. The client has the VPN setup. Upwork.com is not going to help me, regardless of contract or not they should atleast shut off this users account and do the right thing.

They WILL be investigating the client.

Tom, let's go back a step, shall we?

Was the client's payment method verified?

Did the client have a history of hiring and paying freelancers, with feedback?

The way it works is as follows:

The client posts a job posting.

You apply.

If you are chosen for interview you agree the terms of the contract with the client.

The client hires you, either on an hourly basis, then the client gets automatically charged for the hours you log, oron a fixed rate basis where the client gets charged the amount for the first milestone, or the full contract, in advance, the money is put into Escrow, and upon satisfactory completion you get the money that is in Escrow released to you.

THAT is the protection offered.

Without having been hired, and without hours logged OR the funds put in Escrow, there is no way to dispute it because there is nothing to dispute (no funds in Escrow)

Upwork can't pull money out of a client when there is no contract, it's not physically possible. They CAN contact the client and ask them to do the right thing. Theycannot FORCE them.

Just learn from this.

In future do NOT start doing any work until you get the notification that you were hired and that the first milestone was funded and the job is as an active contract in the "My Jobs" tab.

It will look like this,listing your hourly and fixed rate contracts:

my jobs.jpg

You were not actually lied to by Upwork, you were lied to by the client.

truedon
20 of 35

Tom, let's go back a step, shall we?

Nah I'm ok. I stay forward. I don't know who you are even to be talking to me, you are not qualified and you have no control of your font-size.

Was the client's payment method verified? 

Don't know how to check this or what it means.

Did the client have a history of hiring and paying freelancers, with feedback?

Again don't know how to check that, his name is just his name that is it. Where is said links? Provide URL please?

The way it works is as follows:

The client posts a job posting.

You apply.

If you are chosen for interview you agree the terms of the contract with the client.

The client hires you, either on an hourly basis, then the client gets automatically charged for the hours you log, oron a fixed rate basis where the client gets charged the amount for the first milestone, or the full contract, in advance, the money is put into Escrow, and upon satisfactory completion you get the money that is in Escrow.

THAT is the protection offered.

Without having been hired, and hours logged OR the funds put in Escrow, there is no way to dispute it because there is nothing to dispute (no funds in Escrow)

Upwork can't pull money out of aclient when there is no contract, it's not physically possible.

Just learn from this.

In future do NOT start doing any work until you get the notification that you were hired and that the first milestone was funded and the job is in the "My Jobs" tab.

You were not actually lied to by Upwork, you were lied to by the client.

Yes I have been lied to by upwork - they are not doing anything about it and said they would. That is a false premise. Thank you very much but I know what happened.

So you see people NO JUSTICE NO PEACE IS WHAT WE MUST RESORT TO!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS