Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client won't respond to my messages

elizabeth1407
S Elizabeth G Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
1 of 12

Hello,

I made a fixed-price contract with a client. He gave me 2 weeks to complete the translation project, but after one week he stopped replying to my messages. Before the two weeks came, I submitted the work to him via the messages. When he still didn't respond, I submitted a payment request on the 2-week mark. That was 14 days ago. I've resubmitted it twice, and still have heard nothing from him on the messages or about approving or disapproving my work. How do I get in contact with him and get the funds released??  

Thanks,

Elizabeth

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

Elizabeth, STOP resubmitting.

After you submit, the funds are released 14 days afterwards automatically if the client does not request changes or approves manually.

However, every time you resubmit you actually reset the clock.... Every time you resubmit it starts the 14 day timer from 0......

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
Alya U Member Since: Jun 11, 2017
3 of 12

Hi Elizabeth,

Just stop pressing the submit work button. The funds will be released automatically in 14 days. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 12

I always wonder about freelancers who say something like this... The client won't respond to your messages.

Clients are not obligated to respond to messages from freelancers.

As a freelancer, I send clear, detailed reports to clients about the work I do on their behalf. Some respond, some do not. That is their choice. I get paid either way.

If you have a problem getting paid, then you (the freelancer) made a mistake.

wtrabex
Ace Contributor
Winter T Member Since: May 11, 2016
5 of 12

@Preston H wrote:

I always wonder about freelancers who say something like this... The client won't respond to your messages.

Clients are not obligated to respond to messages from freelancers.

As a freelancer, I send clear, detailed reports to clients about the work I do on their behalf. Some respond, some do not. That is their choice. I get paid either way.

If you have a problem getting paid, then you (the freelancer) made a mistake.

I don't agree with this. To me, the clients are what's holding upwork back. Many of them want work for free, or out of scope. They'll pay peanuts, but expect high-quality work. They'll post jobs but won't ever hire someone.

Not to mention all the spam and phishing/fraud that's out there.

A freelancer who completes the work on time hasn't done anything wrong. The clients have to be held to higher standards here.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 12

re: "A freelancer who completes the work on time hasn't done anything wrong"

Winter: A freelancer who submits work but then repeatedly pushes a button that blocks payment has made a mistake.

I am not saying she is a bad person or has done something immoral. But she made a technical mistake that prevented her from receiving money.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 12

re: "The clients have to be held to higher standards here."

If somebody posts a job but does not hire me, they are not my client.

As for the clients who do hire me, they pay me a lot of money. That is the highest standard I could hold possibly hold them to.

So I think Upwork clients are great. If they send me little messages after I report my latest work to them, that is nice. But I don't feel bad if they don't. The purest form of communication on Upwork is the money that flows into my bank account.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 12

The only reason a client pays peanuts is because a freelancer(s) allow them to do so. I'm not a monkey. I do not work for peanuts...and I am allergic to them. No peanuts for me, thank you. 

wtrabex
Ace Contributor
Winter T Member Since: May 11, 2016
9 of 12

@Preston H wrote:

re: "The clients have to be held to higher standards here."

If somebody posts a job but does not hire me, they are not my client.

As for the clients who do hire me, they pay me a lot of money. That is the highest standard I could hold possibly hold them to.

So I think Upwork clients are great. If they send me little messages after I report my latest work to them, that is nice. But I don't feel bad if they don't. The purest form of communication on Upwork is the money that flows into my bank account.

I'm glad you've had a good experience. But your experience is not typical here. Many freelancers (myself included) have to be on guard against scams all the time, and aren't compensated nearly what we're worth.

Of course, rejecting the jobs that don't pay well only goes so far. They keep popping up regardless. 

elizabeth1407
S Elizabeth G Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
10 of 12

I agree that it's irresponsible and shows a lack of respect to not respond to work that's submitted. I'm glad that I will get money in the end, but it makes me feel like the client doesn't care about the work I've done, and is only paying me because he has to. I wouldn't think it would be so bothersome to click a button to approve the work, instead of making me wait two weeks.

But in the end, that's the rules of this game! At least I get paid, and I don't necessarily have to take work from them again if I don't want to. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS