cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wont pay

Highlighted
Renato S Member Since: Aug 4, 2018
1 of 3
So I started a project with a client and I made a mistake. My mistake was that there were 5 projects I had to do and I did all of them trusting he would process payment after all of them (he has spent 20k+ dollars on Upwork) so i thought i was ok. But he only created one milestone once I started the contract with the price of the first milestone only. He's not answering my messages anymore and I cant request more money because the maximum he provided was for the first milestone. I should have told him to keep updating the milestones while I worked, but now is there anything i can do besides regretting?
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 3

Renato S wrote:
now is there anything i can do besides regretting?

you can also hope that the client will do the right thing,  (most are decent human beings) but beyond that, no.  There is nothing else you can do.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 3

Renato S wrote:
So I started a project with a client and I made a mistake. My mistake was that there were 5 projects I had to do and I did all of them trusting he would process payment after all of them (he has spent 20k+ dollars on Upwork) so i thought i was ok.

Remember, you are dealing with Strangers who you've just met on the internet who could be located anywhere in the world. Trust is earned and built by working Long term with a client. During that time you can see how fast he pays, that he fully funds escrow and communication is quick and percise and how well both of you work together. Only then, (and sometimes not even then) can clients be trusted. 
But he only created one milestone once I started the contract with the price of the first milestone only. He's not answering my messages anymore and I cant request more money because the maximum he provided was for the first milestone. I should have told him to keep updating the milestones while I worked, but now is there anything i can do besides regretting?

No, looks like regretting is your only option. In the future, don't trust, don't rely on promises and don't except excuses. ONLY when escrow is Fully funded for the milestones as they come up then and only then should you start working on the requirements of that milestone. This client isn't answering your messages because he already got all of the work and for a bargin price. Not all clients (or freelancers) are ethical. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS