cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client

Ace Contributor
Lars S Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
1 of 19

Hello. Have a question. I have a client here. The job is as interviewing for Norwegian customers. The client has a verified account on  upwork but is completely new here, so he has never hired someone through upwork before. He says I've got the job, but he needs to get onto my computer, and then install an automatic dialer and some software, and says that it is a bit complicated. Is it possible that this could be fraud?

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 19

Lars, I would be reluctant to let someone install software on my computer unless I had more info about what software and what dialer.

Is it an hourly contract? He does not appear to have hired you yet...

What I would try and negotiate is that , 1) First he tells you the exact dialer and software he wants on your computer so you can research and 2) AFTER you researched and established it's safe he hires you, and 3) you try with you installing it yourself after doing the research and, if need be, with screenshare

I'd be optimistic but cautious in other words.

Ace Contributor
3 of 19

Hello. Yes, agrees there. I wrote to him now that I want him first to send me the contract that I can agree to the terms.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 19

Interesting question...

I can actually conceive of this as being totally legitimate, and I can also conceive of this as being nothing but a scam.

Do you have a "clean" computer that you can let him log into? One that doesn't have any personal identifying information, one that you don't use for (and haven't used for) logging into online banking accounts, or Upwork, or anything else?

Keep in mind that if he has free reign of your computer at an administrative level, and if he then installs software on your computer, you would probably have no way of knowing if he had installed key-logger software that would provide him access to your usernames and passwords that you type on that computer, including the username and password you use to log into the Upwork Team application (time-tracker).

But this could be the case even if you downloaded software that he provided you and ran the installer yourself.

Does he need administrative-level access in order to install his software, or can he do it by only logging into a more limited "guest" account that you set up on your computer? From what he is describing, it sounds as though he would like to have administrative-level access.

Ace Contributor
5 of 19

Hello. No, I have not cleaned pc, I'm a little unsure of what to do, but I'll first let him hire me, too, I take it from there, but thought it was a lot of good tips here

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
6 of 19

No. Don't let him hire you and take it from there. These things need to be crystal clear beforehand.

Otherwise you are off to a rocky start or possibly a contract that never really sets off because discussing stuff after accepting the contract might lead to the two of you not wanting to work together after all.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 19

I totally agree with Sandra.  You seem to be rather vague as to what the job entails. I would pin the client down and find out exactly what you have to do and exactly what the software consists of, how much room it will take and so forth. Also if the client so much as hints that you will be paying for the software, then it is a big no-no.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 19

Sandra is right...

First figure it out, then get hired. Remember your potentially dead in the water JSS - the LAST thing you need is another dead or gone wrong contract.

One thing I noticed is that he has already hired someone, in September, yet not a single hour has been logged yet.

Like Preston I think this could be totally legit or a nightmare

Figure out which it is BEFORE he hires you....

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
9 of 19

@Lars S wrote:

Hello. No, I have not cleaned pc, I'm a little unsure of what to do, but I'll first let him hire me, too, I take it from there, but thought it was a lot of good tips here

Lars, then set up a virtual machine on your computer and give access to that only. 

Ace Contributor
10 of 19

I am not good with stuff like that, but what is a virtual machine?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS