🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clientele hired someone else
Page options
kocabean
Community Member

Clientele hired someone else

Hello!

I received my first positive response for work. The client requested a sample. I honored that request. That may have been a mistake. Prior he tried to lower the payment but I managed to get him to agree to the original rate. His words were, “I will give you the $200.00 you asked for but I want to get the page count for you first so stick with me and lets make this book a best seller.  I'm happy and proud of your work.” Does that mean anything or hold any weight? Not only am I upset that I’m not getting to project, but what if he takes my designs elsewhere? 

6 REPLIES 6
remco89
Community Member

Has a contract been set up for $200? I would never provide a sample without a contract, so if not - don't provide him with any more info. Ask him to set up a contract first.

Requesting samples is not normal practice and if this happens it should be paid.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "His words were... Does that mean anything or hold any weight?"

No.

Words hold no weight. Words don't count.

A contract counts.

If you have a contract set up properly, you can do the work and get paid automatically.

Which is very cool.

You can work, and even if the client never even returns to Upwork, you get paid.

re: "The client requested a sample. I honored that request. That may have been a mistake."

Yes.

It was a mistake.

Hopefully you won't make that mistake again in the future.

If a client wants a sample, he can get it from your portfolio.

If he wants a custom sample, he can create a small contract and pay you for creating it.

He can't just ask you to create a sample. That is called asking for free work, and that is prohibitted by Upwork.

millermelanie
Community Member

Sample? That's what a portfolio is for.

I made the same mistake when I first started. I had an uneasy feeling about the whole thing, so a few days later, I did a google search for a line from the "sample" story I had written for the so-called client. Sure enough, he had published it on his website as his own. I'm a ghostwriter, so I know clients put their names on my work, but they have to PAY me for that privilege. I sent him a message and told him he either had to pay me or take the story down, I think I threatened to lawyer up, too. Within 5 minutes, he had taken the story down. All was not lost, though. I now have a nice piece for my portfolio.

Kourtney, despite the title of your topic, I doubt the client hired someone else because he tricked you into giving him the work for free. I must say that's a sneaky way of doing this, by claiming he needed it for a page count.

@Kourtney D wrote:

His words were, “I will give you the $200.00 you asked for but I want to get the page count for you first so stick with me and lets make this book a best seller.  

I got as far as "$200" and "bestseller" 😄

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths