Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clientproblem

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lars S Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
1 of 8

I'm having trouble with a client.

I have worked with telemarketing for two weeks now.

Now the contract has been be suspended from upwork because the client has an unverified account. The client will me to work without the upwork timerecorder,although timerecord is out of order due account be suspended. He will not give us anything that completely pay for something that is his company's fault. This is a 40 hours week job, and I depend on the income. I do not know what to do. A few days ago he said that he wanted me to come over to his company and not work through upwork. I explained to him the guidelines to upwork, but he said it did he care nothing about. I am a professional man who wants only to have professional clients.

What to do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

Lars, I am really sorry this happened, especially with a new (to you) contract / client!

The client has a reasonable past spent on Upwork, so whatever happened between them and Upwork may be temporary, not a permanent problem.

The contract being suspended and the client's payment method showing as unverified can have a number of reasons, some more "serious" than others. It could be something really simple such as their credit card having expired and them having to add a new one and verifying it, or an outstanding invoice, or it could be something serious.

Agreeing to work outside of Upwork is a serious violation of Upwork'stermsof service so I'd strongly suggest you don't do this as it will get you into trouble (obviously the client as well, but by the sounds of it the client is past caring)

I'd have an open and frank discussion with the client to find out if, and when, they think they will have resolved their Upwork issues. If it's something simple it might be sorted in days, but if it is something serious it may not be sorted (especially with the client trying to take freelancers off the site...)

Under those circumstances, if I were you, I'd go back to the drawing board and look for alternative contracts.

I would not recommend you work on the contract as you can't track time so you'd be risking to be working for free. If you do work and the client does not sort out his account you'd have to either forfeit your payment as the client can not pay through the site while suspended, or you'd have to risk losing your account by accepting payment off the site. Neither option is attractive.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 8

Hello. Thank you for the comment.  Smiley Happy

I have reported client Upwork. Yes, I think this is tragic. I am a very professional person, which certainly will not work for people who do not care about upwork policy.

Yes, of course, things can happen, but he sie that there are problems with the bank in Hungary, but the company is registered in Romania. And he will not pay us when things happen that are the company's fault, and it seemed I am very unprofessional

Also, I am afraid to be canceled contract, since I am afraid it will affect me as a freelancer. This is my full-time job and I'm living in Cambodia, a am dependent on one income.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

@Lars S wrote:

I have reported client Upwork. Yes, I think this is tragic. I am a very professional person, which certainly will not work for people who do not care about upwork policy.

Yes, of course, things can happen, but he sie that there are problems with the bank in Hungary, but the company is registered in Romania.

ouch ouch...

So we have a client who is not paying Upwork because of problems with a bank that is in a different country to where the client is (I am guessing a few additional issues from that info and none of them are promising) and you have reported the client for the disintermediation which is additionally not going to help their account ......

I don't think this will end well...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 8

hehe. yes I know. Much nonsense. How is it really on upwork? most clients serious here. All I want is to work and live my life. I work in customer service, and most positionsin customer service here requires talking English without any accent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 8

Lars, I have been working here for over 4 years, almost 3 of which were full time. I have averaged over 50 (logged) hours a week over the last 12 months plus fixed rate contracts.

i have never had a problem with a client, or not anything that could be called a "serious" problem.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 8

Hello. It sounds incredibly good . Smiley Happy

He hired 3 via upwork, and another who searched through their website. All others have quit, because a lot of clutter.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 8

Lars, You did the right thing. This is not your fault and you are not part of this problem. Most of all, you do not want to work with a client like this.

I may be wrong, but something about his I don't care attitude, makes me think that there's nothing wrong with his bank account, wherever it is. That's a line that scammers use, to entice newbies (new freelancers) to continue to work and to send work to them "while they straighten out the problems with Odesk, or their bank." They say the bank, (or Odesk) is aware of this and is in the process of straightening everything out.

I have seen jobs, where the client asks for a contractor to come to their office to pick up files, fix a computer problem or to straighten up their filing system but that's only for 2 or 3 days at the most.  If I'm not mistaken to work onsite as a full time employee is not allowed.

there will be other just as good if not better jobs that come along.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS