Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Clients Requesting to Take Work Outside of Upwork

Highlighted
Active Member
Amy R Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
1 of 26

I have a friend who just started working through Upwork and has had around 5 clients already.  She is doing a great job and getting great feedback.  Problem:  almost every client she has worked with has requested (or offered) to work outside of Upwork.  She would not do that and is a stickler for sticking to the rules.  She definitely wants to keep all work through Upwork.  Should she report all these clients?  She has just told them no and continued to work with them through Upwork, but it is upsetting to know that so many clients ask it.  Now clients are even reaching out to her outside of Upwork for new jobs and she requests they go through Upwork but she doesn't hear back (because of it?)

Highlighted
Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 26

Hi Amy,

 

Asking or getting paid outside of Upwork is a serious violation of our TOS, I would strongly recommend that your friend reaches out to us (Moderators) or our Customer Support and shares more details about her clients. Thank you.


Untitled
Highlighted
Active Member
Dawn O Member Since: Jan 25, 2019
3 of 26
I am always reporting people, yet their proposal stays open. I don't think it does any good.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
4 of 26

Goran V wrote:

 

Asking or getting paid outside of Upwork is a serious violation of our TOS, I would strongly recommend that your friend reaches out to us (Moderators) or our Customer Support and shares more details about her clients. Thank you.


I'm currently struggling while I'm trying to explain to CS that one of my client has offered me to work outside Upwork. I have a screenshot where my client says **Edited for Community Guidelines**  but because of the french language, the team that has investigated my case has concluded (I quote):
"it doesn't offer to work outside Upwork but asked you to go live so the client can offer him new job".


- What 's the meaning of this sentence ?
- So offering a payment in Euros is not a sufficient proof of the client's will to go outside UW?
- CS uses Google translation ? And then, "passer en direct" is for them "go live" when the real meaning is "working without middleman".

 

It could be great if the CS (who is a nice person btw) on my ticket could have some help. I've already closed the contract with this client but for now, I just want a proper ending to this before moving on.

 

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 26

Why don't you people just say "no, gotta make a contract on upwork" and enjoy the money? 

Highlighted
Active Member
Amy R Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
6 of 26

Yes, that is obvious Jennifer, but it is in direct violation of the ToS and according to Upwork the client should be reported.  It happens so often I thought I'd ask if that's what everyone does.  Thanks for your helpful comment.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 26

Amy R wrote:

Yes, that is obvious Jennifer, but it is in direct violation of the ToS and according to Upwork the client should be reported.  It happens so often I thought I'd ask if that's what everyone does.  Thanks for your helpful comment.


It's not a violation to ask. It's a violation to actually do it. There is no reason to report people. Just make them create the contract on Upwork and the problem is solved. Do you really think Upwork would rather you snitch than get them to create a contract and sit back and enjoy the money? Which one do you think they would prefer?

Highlighted
Active Member
Amy R Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
8 of 26

Good point.  Although the agreement says you can't "solicit" work outside of Upwork.  Also "You agree to notify Upwork immediately if a person suggests to you making or receiving payments outside of the Site in violation of this Section 7.1."  So I guess that answers my question.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 26

Amy R wrote:

Good point.  Although the agreement says you can't "solicit" work outside of Upwork.  Also "You agree to notify Upwork immediately if a person suggests to you making or receiving payments outside of the Site in violation of this Section 7.1."  So I guess that answers my question.


**Edited for Community Guidelines**. What a dumb rule.

Highlighted
Active Member
Amy R Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
10 of 26

You make the big bucks sister, I'm inclined to do what you do LOL

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS