Did you mean: 

Clients Requesting to Take Work Outside of Upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 26

Amy R wrote:

You make the big bucks sister, I'm inclined to do what you do LOL

Yeah, man I did not know this rule and you could easily shave 6 figures off of my Upwork income if I did this. This is a hot button for me because I have a client that got suspended and I'm pretty sure it's because he tried to get freelancers to go off platform with his second job. He asked me, and I did my normal thing "nope, gotta take payments on Upwork," contract started and a week later he got suspended. Probably AT LEAST a $3k-$5k contract cut short at the $200-ish mark. I'm gonna hold a grudge over that one for a while.

I can tell you that A LOT of people ask, but I've never once had someone say "well, I'm not hiring you since you said no." They alllllways create a contract on upwork. So, Upwork is kinda cutting off its nose to spite its face with that rule.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
12 of 26

Jennifer M wrote:

Why don't you people just say "no, gotta make a contract on upwork" and enjoy the money? 

A contract was opened but instead of proposing me a new milestone, he has offered to work outside. I’ve politely declined and told him that I was interested by a proposal here, on UW. And then, nothing during two months. He woke up last week and he offered me again to work outside... As he is not an interesting client (low rate, never available...), I’ve ended this contract but I just want to flag him. I know that I could just move on but... nah 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
13 of 26

Hi Yazid,

I will follow up with the team that's reviewing your report currently. Unfortunately, we won't be able to share details about the outcome of the review, however. Additionally, I'd like to note that there is an option for clients in some countries to be charged in their local currency on Upwork.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
14 of 26

Thank you Bojan.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 26

Yazid M wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Why don't you people just say "no, gotta make a contract on upwork" and enjoy the money? 

A contract was opened but instead of proposing me a new milestone, he has offered to work outside. I’ve politely declined and told him that I was interested by a proposal here, on UW. And then, nothing during two months. He woke up last week and he offered me again to work outside... As he is not an interesting client (low rate, never available...), I’ve ended this contract but I just want to flag him. I know that I could just move on but... nah 

So he did actually pay on Upwork and then for the second milestone asked again? But you don't want to work with him now because he's cheap, so you figured you'd get your last hurrah and report him because you're a victim of working for cheap? 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
16 of 26

Jennifer M wrote:

Yazid M wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

So he did actually pay on Upwork and then for the second milestone asked again? But you don't want to work with him now because he's cheap, so you figured you'd get your last hurrah and report him because you're a victim of working for cheap? 

Not at all Jennifer. The client was fully satisfied with my job and told me that he’ll contact me again for a new job but with more freedom (it was based on his guidelines which were really poor). I’d hope that I could negotiated a rise of his rate and waited for a new proposal.

but instead of doing a new real proposal, he just went with the idea of working outside uw. As it’s a possible violation of uw terms, i’ve asked CS some advises. 

I’m not a victim, i’ve Accepted his rate so no prob about it. But if he is a cheater, why letting him do it to others freelancers? Maybe his aim was to scam me outside uw. So I don’t want to remain silent about it. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
17 of 26

"Your friend" should report those clients, but not until she no longer has an active contract with then because reporting a client has a habit of not resulting in perfect feedback.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Mary O Member Since: Nov 25, 2019
18 of 26

How do you report someone who wants to work outside UW?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 26

re: "How do you report someone who wants to work outside UW?"

Click on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top righthand corner of the job posting screen.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 11.41.32 AM.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
20 of 26

Something to keep in mind is that some clients aren't fully aware of the rules around this. The times I was asked it was always by first time clients after we've worked together a bit. I have let them know the issue and provided the ToS link for them. They understood and we continued. I bring this up because you need to look at the situation before immediately running for the report button. Is this a first time client to the UW platform? Does their request come during the interview or after you have an established relationship? Have they otherwise seemed professional? There are a lot of people who are looking to circumvent the rule here, yes; however, some are just not aware and simply letting them know is plenty to resolve without creating a larger issue than required.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS