Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients Requesting to Take Work Outside of Upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 26

Scott B wrote:

Something to keep in mind is that some clients aren't fully aware of the rules around this. The times I was asked it was always by first time clients after we've worked together a bit. I have let them know the issue and provided the ToS link for them. They understood and we continued. I bring this up because you need to look at the situation before immediately running for the report button. Is this a first time client to the UW platform? Does their request come during the interview or after you have an established relationship? Have they otherwise seemed professional? There are a lot of people who are looking to circumvent the rule here, yes; however, some are just not aware and simply letting them know is plenty to resolve without creating a larger issue than required.

This exactly.

Most of my clients who have suggested moving off the platform weren't aware of the 2-year requirement. I know anyone can say that, but since most of my clients are attorneys and not really interested in putting their reputations on the line or triggering unnecessary litigation to save a few bucks, I suspect that it's true for most of them. I've never once had one suggest that we go ahead anyway after I've pointed to the contract.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
22 of 26

Scott B wrote:

Something to keep in mind is that some clients aren't fully aware of the rules around this. The times I was asked it was always by first time clients after we've worked together a bit. I have let them know the issue and provided the ToS link for them. They understood and we continued. I bring this up because you need to look at the situation before immediately running for the report button. Is this a first time client to the UW platform? Does their request come during the interview or after you have an established relationship? Have they otherwise seemed professional? There are a lot of people who are looking to circumvent the rule here, yes; however, some are just not aware and simply letting them know is plenty to resolve without creating a larger issue than required.

Totally agree. The only problem is, this happens in other areas as well, most notably JSS. Clients have no idea that when they leave what they think is a yelp-type review, it can have significant impact on freelancers. Same with leaving contracts open, not leaving feedback, etc. I try to help as much as I can (esp since it helps me as well), but it's frustrating that clients are the bread and butter of UW but the platform is so clunky and difficult to navigate that very few clients who have tried it want to continue to use it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
23 of 26

Kelly B wrote:

I try to help as much as I can (esp since it helps me as well), but it's frustrating that clients are the bread and butter of UW but the platform is so clunky and difficult to navigate that very few clients who have tried it want to continue to use it.

Yes - THIS. Clients who have asked me to work outside of Upwork are never trying to game the system (after all, no service fees are being charged to THEM, so they don't have as much to gain as a freelancer would be going off-platform). No, their reason is always that they find the site difficult to use, and yes, I've lost at least one client (that I know of) when I said that follow up projects had to go via Upwork. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 26

Christine A wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

I try to help as much as I can (esp since it helps me as well), but it's frustrating that clients are the bread and butter of UW but the platform is so clunky and difficult to navigate that very few clients who have tried it want to continue to use it.

Yes - THIS. Clients who have asked me to work outside of Upwork are never trying to game the system (after all, no service fees are being charged to THEM, so they don't have as much to gain as a freelancer would be going off-platform). No, their reason is always that they find the site difficult to use, and yes, I've lost at least one client (that I know of) when I said that follow up projects had to go via Upwork.

In all fairness, have you tried it?

It's hardly rocket science. I have a client account as well and the hiring and paying part is pretty idiot-proof.

The transaction history is a bit painful but honest to god, hiring and releasing a milestone and ending contracts and the basics are easy and straightforward enough.

Frankly anyone who cant get from hiring to paying for a contract should probably not play on the Internet in the first place.

And yes, clients do pay a payment processing fee of 2.75% or whatever it is now. Cheap clients do consider that an issue.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
25 of 26

Petra R wrote:.

And yes, clients do pay a payment processing fee of 2.75% or whatever it is now. Cheap clients do consider that an issue.

Plus, It’s also a way to give a pay rise to the freelancer without digging their pockets. Some of them know perfectly that uw rates + exchange rates can represent a big amount of money for the freelancer and they use this argument to make their proposition to go off-platform. In my case, the client has 3 years of experience here and he hasn’t got any problem to use the platform... And that’s why I have doubts on him.

But after reading some of the previous posts, I think that I should have sent him the ToS link and waited for his reaction. Lesson learned Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
26 of 26

Christine A wrote:

It's not always malicious though. Sometimes they have no idea and just offer to pay you with PayPal. Sometimes, they say "I know Upwork takes a commission. I can pay you wire transfer if you want." And I just say thanks, but gotta take payment on Upwork. 99% of the time, it's not malicious. I'm excluding the ones I could tell were scammers. I would lose a lot of money if I went around snitching on people. If you snitch, you definitely lost the contract, and client gets pissed and leaves Upwork. I'm doing Upwork a **bleep** service getting them on the platform ha

This kind of stuff is totally under the freelancer's control, which is why I say the whole off-platform payment problems are the fault of freelancers not clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS