Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients Should Pay Too !

Highlighted
Community Leader
Octavian Valentin A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
1 of 12

To ensure that we have a quality client posting quality projects/jobs I strongly believe that clients should have a small payment for the 'jobs' they ad here, because I have ran out of connects with this new system, and 80% of the jobs I have applied have no interview - so it's not only because they didn't liked my profile etc.

Adding a small payment would ensure us that the projects are not just "dropped" and they forgot about them as freelancers have to pay $2 for an extra application (2 connects) - or if they do they should pay ...

Highlighted
Gurpreet S Member Since: Feb 2, 2015
2 of 12

I am tottaly agreed with you. I am also facing the same problem on odesk. I have done 4-5 bids daily from last one week and no reply from client . Most of the clients have not initiate the interview . 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
3 of 12

yes definitely.

but there may still be a problem, because if the clients have the same deal as a freelancer, where it costs them 2 connects to post a job, they would equally be allowed to have 60 free connects a month.

so it might be of some benefit, but there will still be clients posting jobs and not hiring.

i think they just be penalized for not hiring after posting a job. strikes on their account or something.

less than 70% hire rate and they get suspended.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 12

re: "less than 70% hire rate and they get suspended."

Something along these lines HAS been announced by oDesk, but I don't know how far along it is in being put into practice, and I'm certain the hiring rate threshhold is LOWER than 70%.

But oDesk representatives have announced in the Community Forum and elsewhere that they intend to or already are cracking down on clients with low hire rates.

They know that it wastes resources and good will when clients post jobs but don't hire anybody.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
5 of 12

It's just flat out ridiculous that I'm seeing "clients" with no verified payment method, a large numbers of posts, and ZERO hires. I was under the impression that the job posts are being reviewed for a bit more than "yup, it's posted". I can understand a "bumping" tactic or the client really never found a good enough freelancer and the such. But when you see a client with no verified payment method, 57 job posts, and ZERO hires, the first thing that comes to mind is "WHAT THE WHAT??" !! Really, that doesn't have fake written all over it ? Check the screen shot and see for yourselves. That was spotted yesterday.

All in all it's amazing how things have gotten rather demanding for freelancers but clients have only 1 requirement...... "See that post button? Knock yourself out".

Perhaps if it costed clients to post jobs like it does freelancers, that would have a chance to clean up the job posts a bit. Or at least get rid of some of the fake / scam posts. Currenlt it's just open season for fake / scam posts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
6 of 12

@Octavian Valentin A wrote:

To ensure that we have a quality client posting quality projects/jobs I strongly believe that clients should have a small payment for the 'jobs' they ad here, because I have ran out of connects with this new system, and 80% of the jobs I have applied have no interview - so it's not only because they didn't liked my profile etc.

Adding a small payment would ensure us that the projects are not just "dropped" and they forgot about them as freelancers have to pay $2 for an extra application (2 connects) - or if they do they should pay ...

And you start charging the clients and they will leave to go to sites with free listing and we will have crappier job postings and less to choose from. They do need to monitor what is posted better.

Valeria stated that this was to improve here shortly. So I am hoping it does. 

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Clients/Freelancer-Profiles-via-Job-Descriptions/m-p/74740#U74740

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
7 of 12

I think if they clients were just required to verify payment before they are allowed to post jobs, that would be enough to drive the worst cases away. It´s what people were suggesting in other threads and I think it should definitely be inforced for the problem to go away.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
8 of 12

I'm liking Jeffs' idea. Have the clients keep up their stats just the same as freelancers have to. If anything, it sounds like a "fair play" method to attempt to fix things.

@ Suzanne

That post directed at you from Valeria in the topic you linked here contradicts itself.

"Currently, we do not have a system where all the postings are monitored before they go live. However, there are systems of both automatic and manual quality control."

^ Make up your melon!! Which is it ?!! Smiley LOL

@anyone still reading this

Can someone explain what exactly is quality control here directly after taking a look at the screen shot I posted? Really?!! 57 job posts and not 1 single hire. I'd love to see how that is considered as quality control or anything resembling monitoring.

I can understand "bumping" tactics but that's nothing short of ridiculous. Honestly, there's something seriously wrong if a client can't find a freelancer good enough to hire after 10 posts. Yes, I'm aware that there are all kinds of situations. But still, 57 posts and NOT ONE HIRE. Ridiculous.

@ Natalia

It's actually a good idea to at least have a payment method verified and i could help things. But without something for a penalty like Jeff was saying, it still leaves open season mode since it still doesn't actually cost them anything to have a verified payment method ( I think). It only slows the problem a little. Also, there are still plenty of vanishing acts that have ratings and the whole bit. Said clientS will post a job and not even interview. They vanished so fast that David Copperfield would say "WOW"!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 12

If clients want to pay to post job postings, they can go to other websites. There are many sites that charge to post job postings.

On oDesk, it is free.

This DOES mean that there are BAD job postings on oDesk. There are too many. I would like to see oDesk increase efforts to eliminate bad job postings and add a way to report details about bad job postings or bad scammer/predatory clients.

But I do not believe that charging money to post jobs on oDesk would be advantageous to me as a contractor.

I earn a lot of money working for clients who don't really know much about oDesk, but take a chance and post a job here because it is free for them to do so, so there's not much risk. Then they talk to me and realize that I'm a real expert able to really help them out, and they're willing to pay for my work and expertise.

So, no, I don't think charging for job postings would help me.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Octavian Valentin A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
10 of 12

No it wouldn't help you directly , but people that will post like that will have a higher job hiring rate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS